RIGOLETTO, La Donna è Mobile, Alessandro Bonci on Edison

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: RIGOLETTO, La Donna è Mobile, Alessandro Bonci on Ediso

Post by drh »

Wolfe wrote:ClickRepair isn't really set up for convenient real time listening however. I guess you could integrate a PC running CR within your hi-fi set up if you wanted. Packburn is 1970's analog technology and now there is options like the SugarCube - http://www.sweetvinyl.com - but it's $ 2000.00.

In the classical / opera realm some of the 78 to LP transfers on Pearl were passable, but a mixed bag. EMI did some okay stuff later on that can be found on LP. I completely gave up bothering with LP's of 78's some years ago. The CD era has seen some bad sounding stuff still come out, but generally standards have improved, and there are high quality boutique labels like Marston that still push the envelope.
Largely agree, but I suppose we should leave it here so as to avoid hijacking the thread. I will mention in passing, however, that I have integrated a laptop PC with big external drive into my main stereo system. I've even saved microphone-in-front-of-horn recordings of cylinders and diamond discs to it, although I don't think I've gotten around to Bonci yet. Might make an interesting new thread: how many of us have computerized our listening systems?

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

drh wrote:
Wolfe wrote:ClickRepair isn't really set up for convenient real time listening however. I guess you could integrate a PC running CR within your hi-fi set up if you wanted. Packburn is 1970's analog technology and now there is options like the SugarCube - http://www.sweetvinyl.com - but it's $ 2000.00.

In the classical / opera realm some of the 78 to LP transfers on Pearl were passable, but a mixed bag. EMI did some okay stuff later on that can be found on LP. I completely gave up bothering with LP's of 78's some years ago. The CD era has seen some bad sounding stuff still come out, but generally standards have improved, and there are high quality boutique labels like Marston that still push the envelope.
Largely agree, but I suppose we should leave it here so as to avoid hijacking the thread. I will mention in passing, however, that I have integrated a laptop PC with big external drive into my main stereo system. I've even saved microphone-in-front-of-horn recordings of cylinders and diamond discs to it, although I don't think I've gotten around to Bonci yet. Might make an interesting new thread: how many of us have computerized our listening systems?
Yup so true. And for me, Ward Marston wins first prize in this field hands-down.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

drh wrote:

I haven't yet--which isn't surprising considering I play Lp's and 78's with vintage tube audio and also use my Victor IV horn machine---So I'm a little slow in staying current with technology haha