Poly portable

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Poly portable

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I have a Poly Portable without the diaphragm or horn that I bought many years ago. I have interpreted from recent posts that the horn is either paper or poster board. I ask are the diaphragm edges glued together or do they but together so it will lie flat?
Are reproduction diaphragms available or should I just make one?
Does a pattern exist on the internet?
The last question I will check on via google.
Thank you kindly in advance,
Allen

A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: Poly portable

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi again,
The search sent me to this sight and the info I was looking for i.e. a pattern for the diaphragm.
Allen

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I happen to have one Polly horn left from a production run that I made years ago. It is an exact copy of a rarer "basketweave" design horn and is made from a more flexible and better sounding laminated paper. The horns have several pieces and slide together to form a cone and the parts are riveted in place. If you are interested, it is $60 plus $6.00 for Priority Mail shipping. If you need pictures, I can post them... PM me if you would like it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

User alang posted a spec for the Polly Portable cone a while back. You should be able to find it with a board search.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Here is a partial picture of the Polly basketweave horn, that I copied from an original.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 9.39.38 PM.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Here's the post with the specs for the cone:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... table+cone

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi,
Thanks to all the input.
I took the reproducer for lack of a better term off yesterday. I made a solid cone diaphragm and am in the process of cleaning off the old red rubber that was hard as nails. I intend to use segments of a rubber band to make new damping mounts.
I have other things to do today and Tuesday my wife is having neck surgery to immobilize the c1-c2 vertebra joint. One side of that joint has become fused and is causing pain.
I hope to get back to the Poly later next week. I will keep you all updated on the Poly progress.
Allen

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I heard they have reproduction horns for the Polly.The one I have has an original horn,but I'd like to get a repro.Does anyone know who has those?edisonplayer

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Polly portable

Post by Curt A »

edisonplayer wrote:I heard they have reproduction horns for the Polly.The one I have has an original horn,but I'd like to get a repro.Does anyone know who has those?edisonplayer
I can make the all green Polly horn or the basketweave, as shown above. I have PM'd you with the info...

My Wife

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi,
Thanks to all the input.
I took the reproducer for lack of a better term off yesterday. I made a solid cone diaphragm and am in the process of cleaning off the old red rubber that was hard as nails. I intend to use segments of a rubber band to make new damping mounts.

Allen
I replaced the red rubber pivot dampers with a short piece of the same silicone tubing I use for gaskets on Exhibition reproducers. I cut a piece maybe ¼" long, then cut that in half lengthwise (twice) and used each U-shape piece under each support point. Worked really well.