Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
pdegro
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Beginner

Help on Tenorio grammophon.

Post by pdegro »

Hello to all.

I am Pierre, 63 yrs, living in Belgium.

Very recently I got this nice cabinet with Tenorio grammophon.
At first, sound was bad and mechanism needed re-adjustment.
After some hours work, this machine runs fine again.
Now I am looking for information about this grammophon.
The only thing I can find is TENORIO on the cabinet.
And the motor is a Polydor 28.
The soundbox is a Goldring Foreign 24, Special Electro.
Anyone who can tell me some more information on this cabinet/grammophon?

Video here:
https://youtu.be/D4ahDWGZfJw

DSC01147.JPG
DSC01148.JPG
Best regards
Pierre
Last edited by pdegro on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Help on Tenorio grammophon.

Post by soundgen »

Attachments
aten.jpg
aten.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

pdegro
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Beginner

Post by pdegro »

Hello again to all readers,

As there is few respons on my question about this TENORIO make/model and its history,
Is it that rare and unknown??

I wonder what the vaulue of this cabinet might be.

Any suggestions??

Regards from Belgium.
Pierre.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

pdegro wrote:As there is few respons on my question about this TENORIO make/model and its history,
Hi Pierre:

It's not so much rare as it is unknown.

I remember asking the European and British collectors on another forum about similar looking models--with nearly identical components--bearing a variety of different brand names, that (eventually) made their way to the United States. I was told that during the later 1920s, through the early 1930s, components such as motors, tonearms, reproducers, and horns were supplied by "third party" manufacturers--mostly Swiss--to independent cabinet makers based in the UK, and other countries, for "fitting out as gramophones." The completed products, which varied in quality, depending on how well the cabinets were made, were then sold under dozens, if not hundreds of different brand names. Oftentimes, these gramophones had very short and limited production runs, which is why so little information exists today about specific brand models.

In the United States, a similar situation existed during the late teens to about the mid-1920s, as described on this page -- https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talk ... j-wakeman/

Hope this helps.

OrthoFan

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In the UK we call these machines "assembled" gramophones. They are only desirable if the cabinets are of unusual or period design, such as the little Tyrela and it's imitators with a circular cabinet based upon a Georgian wine cooler.
Attachments
tyrela.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

OrthoFan wrote:
pdegro wrote:As there is few respons on my question about this TENORIO make/model and its history,
Hi Pierre:

It's not so much rare as it is unknown.

I remember asking the European and British collectors on another forum about similar looking models--with nearly identical components--bearing a variety of different brand names, that (eventually) made their way to the United States. I was told that during the later 1920s, through the early 1930s, components such as motors, tonearms, reproducers, and horns were supplied by "third party" manufacturers--mostly Swiss--to independent cabinet makers based in the UK, and other countries, for "fitting out as gramophones." The completed products, which varied in quality, depending on how well the cabinets were made, were then sold under dozens, if not hundreds of different brand names. Oftentimes, these gramophones had very short and limited production runs, which is why so little information exists today about specific brand models.

In the United States, a similar situation existed during the late teens to about the mid-1920s, as described on this page -- https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talk ... j-wakeman/

Hope this helps.

OrthoFan
I just looked at the link what a lot of machines ! The Gabel-ola over 5ft tall , does anyone` know if any have survived ?
Attachments
a gabelola.jpg