Perfection phonograph *Restoration thread*

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Perfection phonograph *Restoration thread*

Post by Valecnik »

Why did you strip it? The original dark finish looked pretty good, at least appeared so in the pics.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Valecnik wrote:Why did you strip it? The original dark finish looked pretty good, at least appeared so in the pics.
It was not good unfortunately. It was globbed on tinted poly and full of brush marks and bristles.

Thanks George,
I have used the dip method of radio parts but this would be a bit too much for me.
I do love to learn new things so I may take you up on the offer in the future... I make detailed molds for radio restoration and escutcheons are the hardest as they were swirled. The material they were made from shrunk so they are 90% destroyed now. I make them but no swirl... Just a solid color. I need to create the swirl so when I get back to mold making this fall I will call on you.

ET,
Are you saying it is a metal lid? I dont remember reading that...
That would make it a bit harder as I dont do much metalwork.
I am thinking that if i have to make a lid and do this graining tht I will hold off on any further restoration to the cabinet for now. I will have to match the barrel to the new lid if I can make it so why redo it now....

Yes Curt,
It is a different tool but this one does have knots on the drum. Odd...

Kirk
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

From what I've read the lid was metal and just sat on top with no hinge. I think a wood one would be fine, and you could either use natural oak or you could do a faux paint grain to blend it with the metal.

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

I wish you had not said it was metal :lol:
I want originality so I guess I am going to have to work on my metallurgy skills...
I may do one in wood as I would need a form anyway.

Thanks for the help,
Kirk

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Argh....

The completely rebuilt phonograph is now completely broken down again. The spring is too weak and one of the Governors snapped. Ron was nice enough to have me just send the parts so he could figure out what I need.

The barrel looks terrible so it will be stripped. I really did not want to but the finish is so much worse now that I removed some of the tinted poly. IT will get a new woodgrain paint job.
I removed the grill and it actually is somewhat malleable so I can stretch it a little to roll the new woodgrain.

So it continues...

Kirk

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Thanks to Ron Sitko I have a new spring and he made me new governor springs!
I cant wait to rebuild the phonograph now.

I do have a question. How do I do the spring? Do I unravel it and the grease it as I put it in or do I just grease the inside and snap it in coiled up?

Thanks all,
Kirk

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

There are two schools of thought about that; but I side with freeing the spring from its wire first, then coiling it into the barrel. That way, you can make sure the outer end is properly secured. Put a little grease into the bottom of the barrel, wind the spring in, then add more grease on top.

Bill