Phonograph found in Wrong Way Corrigan's Garage

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MikeB
Victor II

Phonograph found in Wrong Way Corrigan's Garage

Post by MikeB »

Well, this is so cool that I had to share. This phonograph came out of famous aviator Wrong Way Corrigan's garage. It may have belonged to him, and it is a mess. I also brought home Corrigan's Daddy longlegs spiders and Corrigan's silverfish before I took the phonograph outside and gave it a quick cleaning. It is eaten by termites on one side,and the motor has been replaced, appropriately enough, with a "Heineman Flyer."

Here are some photos. Enjoy!
Attachments
WrongwayPhono1.jpg
WrongwayPhono2.jpg
WrongwayPhono3.jpg
WrongwayPhono4.jpg
WrongwayPhono5.jpg
Wrongway8.jpg
Last edited by MikeB on Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: I've got Wrong Way Corrigan's phonograph!

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

:D

Great provenance, and great machine too! Looks like it has the little attachment to put a tiny aluminum horn on the reproducer (What was that called again? :monkey: ) Best of luck restoring--keep us posted!

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

As Van pointed out, the little horn is missing from the Add-A-Tone reproducer. Here what it looks like. It will work just fine without the horn, but the added dimension adds just a little more.
Attachments
IMG_3511.JPG
IMG_3511.JPG (72.17 KiB) Viewed 1715 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

What a fabulous thing to find and own! I'd be very torn between just servicing and cleaning it up (despite the damage), and restoring it.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Yes, it is an interesting find.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

Wrong Way's estate is being sold off as I speak here in California. This phonograph is sitting in his backyard. I'm going to pass on it - it's too much for me to handle. If anyone has an interest in it and is in Southern California, send me a message and I can tell you where to get it. I doubt that it will sell.
Attachments
CorriganBigPhono.jpg

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Just curious: Does it play backwards??

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

The portable is enough of a project to tackle... the one in the backyard is toast...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Yeah it looks like this guy had a flood or something. His stuff looks like crap.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Front page of the New York Post newspaper with a backwards headline and the news that flyer Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan had returned to the United States from the flight which took him to Ireland in 1938.

Douglas Corrigan (January 22, 1907 – December 9, 1995) was an American aviator born in Galveston, Texas. He was nicknamed "Wrong Way" in 1938. After a transcontinental flight from Long Beach, California, to New York City, he flew from Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, New York, to Ireland, though his flight plan was filed to return to Long Beach. He claimed his unauthorized flight was due to a navigational error, caused by heavy cloud cover that obscured landmarks and low-light conditions, causing him to misread his compass. However, he was a skilled aircraft mechanic (he was one of the builders of Charles Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis) and had made several modifications to his own plane, preparing it for his transatlantic flight. He had been denied permission to make a nonstop flight from New York to Denmark, and his "navigational error" was seen as deliberate. Nevertheless, he never publicly admitted to having flown to Ireland intentionally.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 6.56.12 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife