Repainting amberola top section/logo?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Repainting amberola top section/logo?

Post by Mormon S »

The top section of my amberola is in rough shape, and the logo is faded off. I want to maybe sand and repaint it, and repaint the logo. Does anyone know what paints and coatings would be the best looking & durable? And, i know someone said they repainted the gold ribbons on a model A with a paint pen, and it turned out great. I might also need a reference for remaking the logo. The amberolas I've seen have had a plate in the same location, so I'm not sure.
Attachments
20180519_223526.jpg
20180521_190555.jpg
20180519_223545.jpg

Victor VI

Re: Repainting amberola top section/logo?

Post by 52089 »

Search the board for "bedplate paint" or "motorboard paint" and you'll find several discussions, including the fact that this is probably not paint but "asphaltum" or something similar.

Personally I'd probably just clean it and maybe touch it up, but that's me.

You don't want to repaint the Edison logo. Buy a quality decal from Gregg Cline instead. phonodecals.com IIRC.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

An important point to remember is that the black "paint" on bedplates may or may not be compatible with modern paints, therefore the best option is to completely strip the bedplate to bare metal before trying to re-paint it... I learned that lesson on a Columbia Q bedplate which I did not completely strip and the over paint wrinkled up and had to be redone. The good news is that once it is down to bare metal, you can repaint it with any modern paint without problems. Don't even go down the road of using asphaltum... just make sure all of the original is removed before starting the repaint... As mentioned previously, don't try to repaint the logo... use one of Gregg Cline's decals, which are as close to original as possible.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Which model is it: 30, 50, or 75 (or perhaps a Vb)? My 30 of approximately the same vintage (outside speed control) did not have a signature decal on the bedplate.

As for the paint, it looks good from the photos at least. I also would advise a cleaning and touch-up: you could use Eric Reiss's suggestion of using shellac tinted with nigrosene to build up some of the paint loss. And yes, get a decal for the logo.

Bill

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

Lucius1958 wrote:Which model is it: 30, 50, or 75 (or perhaps a Vb)? My 30 of approximately the same vintage (outside speed control) did not have a signature decal on the bedplate.

As for the paint, it looks good from the photos at least. I also would advise a cleaning and touch-up: you could use Eric Reiss's suggestion of using shellac tinted with nigrosene to build up some of the paint loss. And yes, get a decal for the logo.

Bill
It's an amberola 30. I've never seen an amberola with that decal, but it's not like I've looked that hard. I might make a dedicated post to it, to see if anyone else has the same thing. It does have the exposed speed control so it must be earlier in production.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Strip and repaint?!! Hold on a sec, Pardner! As has been mentioned before here, the black paint you currently have is asphaltum. After that layer was cured, then the Varnish Transfer (decal) and any gold painted decoration (if there was any) was applied, and then protective coat(s) of shellac.

The main part of your bedplate looks fine. The cruddy part looks mostly like what goes over it (decal & shellac). All it really needs is a couple of touch ups of black enamel (testor's or rustoleum with an artist's brush) where the paint has worn through, a new decal and some coats of shellac. (Obviously, you'll need to remove all of the other parts and clean/prep the surface.) With the new decal, you'll need the shellac to go over it in any event (if you want it to look right). Total repaints are very hard to do that don't scream "REPAINT". I've done the method I've just described many times, and it always has come out looking more original because it is mostly original. That, and I find it way easier.

What ever you end up doing, good luck and have fun!

Martin

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Out of curiosity, what is the serial number of your machine and where is the ID plate located?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

52089 wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the serial number of your machine and where is the ID plate located?
Considering that it's about the same vintage as mine, I'd say inside the case, to the right of the horn.

Bill

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

"Considering that it's about the same vintage as mine, I'd say inside the case, to the right of the horn.

Bill "

+1

It's behind the Speaker Grille and to the Right of the horn, but you have to remove the Speaker Grille.

See attached pic below for a Amberola Series 1 Dataplate location example...

Series 1 Amberola 30 Machines had the Dataplate behind the Grille and to the right of the Horn as pictured below... Series 2 Amberola 30 Machines had the Dataplate on the top part of the Bedplate behind the mandrel. Series 3 Amberola 30 Machines had the Dataplate underneath the Top Lid and to the Upper Left under the Lid.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer
Attachments
Amberola 30 1st Series Dataplate Original placement Pic 2.jpg

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Here's the Amberola 30 Series 2 (Sometimes Late Series 1 as well) Dataplate location..

See Attached Pic below:

Tony K.

:o)

Edison Collector/Restorer
Attachments
Amberola 30 Early SM 132156 - Pic 1.jpg
Last edited by NEFaurora on Mon May 28, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.