Victor "Patti" label records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Victor "Patti" label records

Post by gramophone-georg »

Viva-voce wrote:
epigramophone wrote:The comparative rarity of the covers for these records is partly due to the use of storage albums. The paper covers would then have been discarded.
Yes that makes sense--but isn't it a touch ironic that those super-expensive discs would have been better off stored in those covers rather than the albums, where every "turn of the page" could, and often did, result in record breakage.

Steven
I have heard this for decades, but I have over 800 storage albums my jazz collection is in, had them for ages, play the records a lot, and have never ever broken a record.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

gramophone-georg wrote:
Viva-voce wrote:
epigramophone wrote:The comparative rarity of the covers for these records is partly due to the use of storage albums. The paper covers would then have been discarded.
Yes that makes sense--but isn't it a touch ironic that those super-expensive discs would have been better off stored in those covers rather than the albums, where every "turn of the page" could, and often did, result in record breakage.

Steven
I have heard this for decades, but I have over 800 storage albums my jazz collection is in, had them for ages, play the records a lot, and have never ever broken a record.
Yes, we collectors may tend to be more careful in these matters than the average consumer of that era LOL

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

epigramophone wrote:Yes, and the same applies to cylinders. Every time I see one of those cylinder storage cabinets with wooden pegs, I shudder at the thought of all the boxes which were thrown away.

Roger.
Very true. And there are many types of collectables that are worth much more if they still have their original packaging or container!

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

I have heard this for decades, but I have over 800 storage albums my jazz collection is in, had them for ages, play the records a lot, and have never ever broken a record.[/quote]

And fortunately, I haven't broken a record stored in an album yet, either :)

Steven

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Viva-voce wrote:I have heard this for decades, but I have over 800 storage albums my jazz collection is in, had them for ages, play the records a lot, and have never ever broken a record.

And fortunately, I haven't broken a record stored in an album yet, either :)

Steven[/quote]

Me neither, but I received several albums in box lots with broken records, the typical half moon shape broken out. It also depends on the type of album, or better on the type of sleeve in the album. Some sleeves are glued in with (originally) some also glued together part that would allow for turning the pages. That glue often is gone, so records slide all the way towards the binding and then break when people who don't know better turn the pages. I recently got an album for free with mostly unremarkable records, but one near mint Okeh with Mamie Smith Crazy Blues. All records were good, except of course the Mamie Smith had a fresh half moon break. If did not cost me anything, but it broke my heart that such an early blues record in unusually good condition was damaged - probably shortly before they gave me the album. So yes, one can use albums safely if one knows how to use them and what to avoid.

Andreas

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

OMG Andreas the same thing happened to me a few years back. In the back room of a used record shop in LA I found an album with several early jazz and blues 78's that were broken in the same manner, including an otherwise clean copy of the same Mamie Smith you mentioned!
But fortunately there were two unbroken records in top condition: Bertha "Chippie" Hill on electric Vocalion 1264 Hard Time Blues/Some Cold Rainy Day, and Mamie Smith on Okeh 4253 Lovin Sam/Don't Care Blues. That was the best deal on blues records I ever got!

The Mamie Smith, incidentally, I listed for sale yesterday as part of a lot of 3 blues records in the Yankee Trader section LOL.

The Chippie Hill, however, I'm keeping :)

Steven
Last edited by Viva-voce on Tue May 22, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Not to derail the thread, but I think there's a fair number of Smith's Crazy Blues still floating around. It was good selling record (often cited as THE first authentic African-American blues record.) Which doesn't devalue finding one, but it's not like it was a mint Charley Patton. :o

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Wolfe wrote:I think there's a fair number of Smith's Crazy Blues still floating around. It was good selling record (often cited as THE first authentic African-American blues record.) Which doesn't devalue finding one, but it's not like it was a mint Charley Patton. :o
Too true :)

Steven

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

Have never seen a Patti in the wild, very cool

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

78recordpicker wrote:Have never seen a Patti in the wild, very cool
Neither have I--none of the early "Patti" label pressings, at any rate. Occasionally, I've run across her records on a later Victor "patents" or even a bat-wing label. Although relatively uncommon, those later pressings aren't particularly valuable. Even first-issue pressings of most of the original "Melba", "Patti", and Tamagno titles, whether on G&T or Victor, while very collectable and nice to have, aren't terribly expensive, even in top condition.

On the other hand, an original G&T label pressing of Patti's recording of "La Calasera" would be a different story. Has anyone ever seen one? I read somewhere that either just before or after it was published, her husband vetoed it as being "too undignified" and it was immediately withdrawn. LOL

It was released much later in the 78 era as part of a collectors subscription series, then in recent years on Historic Masters in best possible sound on new vinyl copies pressed from the original metal parts. It's my favorite of her records.

Steven