Columbia AH case question...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Columbia AH case question...

Post by Curt A »

I recently got this Columbia AH case, but it is somewhat puzzling to me... I'm wondering why it has two holes that appear to be crank holes with escutcheons on both sides of the case? Both holes are drilled in semi-circular wood trim pieces that appear to have been made at the factory. The one on the side with the decal appears to be the crank hole and is somewhat higher than the hole on the opposite side... Any ideas? I have asked Harvey Kravitz for his opinion and he is puzzled as well...

Also, what motor is appropriate for this cabinet...? And does anyone have one, along with the latch that secures the motorboard?
Attachments
AH Sides.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Columbia AH case question...

Post by Jerry B. »

The knurled on/off speed control comes through what looks like a crank hole in the photo on the left. The crank goes through the escutcheon hole on the photo on the right. The deck release goes through the little hold in the photo on the right.

Jerry Blais

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I thought the same thing as Jerry. For a conventional 2 spring motor, this would make sense The extra hole is what throws me off. I'm wondering is there is an intermediate motor between the early off center crank motor and the more conventional one. Curt, post all the pictures that you showed me.
Harvey Kravitz

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

OK...
Attachments
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1802.jpg
IMG_1811.jpg
IMG_1800.jpg
IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Yes, there was an intermediate motor with a vertical governor. This is illustrated in an article on the AH found in the June 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph. All 3 basic motor types are shown, in addition to cabinets and support/traveling arms across the variations.

George P.

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

APS members can access the knowledgebase via Articles / Advanced from the main-menu and Search for “Type AH” (including the quotes) and you will be presented with the following publications for download:

TAP-2016-06_redacted
TSB-2005-03
TTMR-1970-02 (see separate TMF posting: Columbia Type AH – Cylinder Graphophone??)

A portion of the March 2005 issue of “The Sound Box” follows: (NOTE: the copy / paste may not be complete). Login to your account for complete access to the publication.

Another important, yet often overlooked, Macdonald Disc Graphophone patent was the development of an on/off/governor speed control device, which combined these functions into a unified and simple motion.

This little gadget was officially named a "speed-regulator and stop mechanism" and the patent was filed on January31st 1903 (see figure 1.)

Columbia was quite eager to incorporate this new Figure 2 the first model, first type AH with off-center crank and horizontal motor. The very next catalog shows the second model AK (Chicago cabinet), and the second model, rear-wind AJ, which are known to be from 1903, mechanism into their latest product of offerings because it first appeared in their 1902 catalog, anticipating the patent filing by a few months.

According to Howard Hazelcorn, Columbia's first Disc Graphophone to incorporate Macdonald's new invention was the model AK, shown here in a 1902 catalog photo (see figure 2.)

Many Columbia catalogs make no mention of publication year, so some information about these machines comes from assimilating known model production dates. Hazelcorn is quite certain this catalog photo of the AK is from 1902 because also contained within its pages is Robert Baumbach and Mac Lackey's book "Columbia Phonograph Companion - Volume 11" also states the Disc Graphophone model AK as being introduced in 1902. The book's illustration clearly shows Macdonald's device, which was installed on the rear of the wooden cabinet through a small hole.

The governor speed control and stop mechanism has also been found on the side of model AK cabinets, whether they are first style (see figure

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

George,
I can't locate the June 2016 Antique Phonograph... Do you have a picture of the correct motor and arms for this cabinet?

My Wife

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Curt,

Just go to the APS online archive and do a search for "AH" as Rod described above. It should take about 90 seconds. :)

George P.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have difficulty getting into the APS website to look at the archives. I would like to see this motor myself. I'm trying to locate my earlier APS journals. For those of us that are not good with computers, can someone who owns one of these machines to please post pictures of this motor? On behalf of us computer illiterates, I sure would appreciate this.
Harvey Kravitz

recordnut
Victor Jr

Post by recordnut »

I searched for “Type AH” in the advanced archives and received a "NO RESULTS MATCHED YOUR QUERY. PLEASE TRY A DIFFERENT PHRASE" response.