advice please re: wobbly tone arm repair

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: advice please re: wobbly tone arm repair

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote:The large ring (3) is a press fit into the base, and will come out with some persuasion. You'll then find that there is another ring soldered to the base of the arm. That ring is held captive between the top of the base and the large ring. No bearings. The ring that is soldered to the base of the arm will have worn away, resulting in the sloppiness you are seeing. There is no easy fix, and as you also have a problem with the crook joint in the arm, I think your only recourse is to get hold of a complete replacement arm. It's a very common design, so it shouldn't be a long job. Just make sure the replacement arm has the same measurements as the original.

Thank you very much for the information.

How would you go about removing the 'press fit base' (3) I wonder ?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I would put something thin and pointed through one of the screw holes in the top side of the base, and try to get it to catch on the top/edge of the corresponding hole in the plate. A few light whacks with a hammer on the pointed tool should dislodge the plate.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote:I would put something thin and pointed through one of the screw holes in the top side of the base, and try to get it to catch on the top/edge of the corresponding hole in the plate. A few light whacks with a hammer on the pointed tool should dislodge the plate.
Thank you very much for the advice.

I think I will initially try to 'pack in' as much PTFE as I can and if that doesn't work I will try what you suggest.

I realize that it might be pot metal and explode but hey.

................ more later .............

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Sorry, but PTFE will wear away to nothing within a few hours use, as well as making the arm movement stiff, thus ruining your records.