Oregon to Union, 2018 (Phono Nerds Crossing America)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Oregon to Union, 2018 (Phono Nerds Crossing America)

Post by gramophone-georg »

Jerry B. wrote:The bridge above the Snake River is nearly 500 feet above the river. The view is breathtaking. Also, it's one of the few places in the country where is it legal to base jump from a public bridge. We were at this spot a few years ago and watched as several people climbed over the rail and make the leap. It took your breath away. We were there early this morning and hoped to photo jumpers in action and to rent a parachute for Stan :shock: but we were the only ones in the parking lot. Perhaps with a little push Stan will jump next year. ;)

Jerry Blais
Evel Knievel jumped the Snake, you know. Before we moved to Oregon we lived in Sun Valley, Id. up the road from Twin apiece. We used to go to Twin shopping and to the movies often. Fun times.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Finally, we have a phonograph pickup in Denver! Jerry got a beautiful Vic 5 with the big brass horn. I will let him tell all about it, but here are some great pictures of it. The guy in the picture with Jerry is Dale Edwards, brother of Darold that many of us know.
20180603_123726.jpg
20180603_123736.jpg
20180603_123739.jpg
20180603_123831.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Before arriving in Denver we started in Kremmling. We stayed in a pretty great 1906 hotel. The cute couple that own it bought it 6 years ago after it had been unused for more than 20 years. Some famous folks stayed there. Documented are John Wayne (during the filming of True Grit), Burl Ives, and Zane Gray. Zane Gray stayed in a room and wrote a book set in the town. So kind of a fun stay.
20180603_070103.jpg
The drive between Kremmling and Denver is on one of the most spectacular mountain roads anywhere. Just a couple of pics. They can't capture the size and scope of the place.
20180603_072134.jpg
20180603_074529.jpg
Last edited by melvind on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The Victor V was an exciting purchase for me. It was listed on Craigslist but the photos were very poor. I looked at the photos a couple of times before I thought I might be looking at a brass horn. I asked the seller for the dimensions and material of the horn. Her answer made me realize it was a Victor V with a 24-B horn. I made an offer thinking it was possibly a refinished cabinet with an average 24-B horn. My offer was accepted so I called Darold Edwards to see if he had any suggestions for someone to take possession until I could pick it up on my Union trip. He offered his brother and he's stored it for the last five months or so. Darold visited his family in Denver and checked out my machine. He reported that it's the nicest V he's ever seen and the horn is equally nice. I am delighted with the machine and appreciate Darold and Dale Edwards for their help. :D

Jerry Blais

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Congratulations Jerry to that beautiful Victor V and the incredible brass horn! Good things come to those who do good. Enjoy your trip.

Andreas

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That's beautiful Jerry, congratulations on your new acquisition!

Have fun,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Congratulations Jerry it's beautiful--what an awesome find. :)

Steven

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Oww I want a brass horn now :)

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

We didn't post yesterday due to extremely slow internet and a very long day. So here is yesterday driving across Kansas. We ended up visiting 2 of the 8 Wonders of Kansas (who knew!) just a short away from each other. I'm not sure, but last year when we visited the largest ball of twine in Kansas, it might be one of them too.

We started out too early for antiquing so we started watching for things to see. We saw the sign for the Cathedral of the Prairie in Victoria, Kansas. Right off Interstate 70 in a small town of about 1200 people is this magnificent cathedral built between 1908 and 1911 by the German/Russian catholic settlers there. In 2014 it was named a Basilica by Rome and it is really something to see in the middle of nowhere.
20180604_112221.jpg
20180604_084100.jpg
From the first hour we left Jerry kept talking about seeing the Garden of Eden in Lucas, Kansas. I looked it up on my phone and kind of groaned and didn't sound interested, but Jerry persisted and since he is the driver, off we went to the Garden of Eden. One of the strangest places I have ever visited! Built in the early part of the 20th century over a 25 year period by a very eccentric and unpopular fellow in Lucas. He built the house by hand and created all the sculptures and decorations as well. He meant it to be a tourist attraction for the town. And, it has become just that. I can't say it is my favorite place, but if you like things just a bit quirky this place is for you.
20180604_095147.jpg
20180604_095835.jpg
20180604_095025.jpg
Inside were the rooms where he and his family lived. To tie it into a phonograph trip we were hoping we would find a phonograph inside. And, we did! Here is Jerry with a Brunswick machine.
20180604_103355.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

A little selfie while driving in the car (Jerry is driving, not me taking the picture). While it might look like it, this is not Carpool Karaoke!!!! :roll: :lol: