Referral purchase: Trademark Berliner

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Referral purchase: Trademark Berliner

Post by Phono-Phan »

This doesn't happen every day. I was referred to as a person to call about a phonograph that someone wanted to sell. They wanted to get an idea where to sell it and what to expect to get for it. I mentioned to them that their best place to sell it would be at the Union Show this weekend. For them it would be about a 9 hour drive one way. After a few phone calls about it they offered it to me if I would beat another offer. We have all heard that before. I did (substantially) and they called me back and said to come get it. For us, it was about a 11 hour round trip. It is all original!!!! And came with 19 Berliner records. Our schedule has been very busy getting ready for Union but we had to make the trip. I will bring it to the Union Show for a "Show and Tell" item. I had to ask them where they found it and they said at a rummage sale near them. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to ask them what they paid for it. Are you sitting down?....... They paid a whopping $7 for it and the records :o I shook their hands and congratulated them. WOW!!!!!!!
A HUGE thanks for the Forum members that made the referral :D :D :D :D :D :D
Attachments
DSCN1143.JPG
DSCN1142.JPG
DSCN1144.JPG
Last edited by Phono-Phan on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: Referral purchase: Trademark Berliner

Post by Sidewinder »

Wow, congratulations!

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

I've always thought, by the time something like this happens, you've earned it! Congratulation! Maybe lightening will strike again soon. It's really hard to believe some of the phonograph items that are still turning up that have just been sitting somewhere for many years or decades, doesn't it? In a church not far from here a really nice Victor V turned up on the top shelf in a closet. They put it on an auction and it sold for WAY more than it should have, but the people in town were bidding against each other on it, and I don't remember now what they were going to do with the money.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Probably, some old guy died and his family would have thrown it away, but decided to at least get a yard sale price for it...

I think that may be happening more and more as estates are being settled by minimalist millennials who inherit stuff other than IKEA furniture, iPads and big screen TVs... :roll: As far as I am concerned, if someone is not interested in researching the value or desirability of items they inherit, their loss is our gain... and we do not have any responsibility to educate them... they would just blow it on a new iPhone anyway...

Also, please remember to refer potential sellers in NC, SC and surrounding states to me... Thanks!!! :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Incredible find!! Thanks for sharing here.Steve L.

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

What an impressive find. I need to know what rummage sale it came from. It intrigues the bargain hunter in me :) Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congratulations.
Mike

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Many congratulations! It's encouraging to see this sort of thing, and realize there are still treasures out there that haven't been picked over by the vultures!

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

Ken, thanks for showing me this machine at Union. It is very impressive.

Jim Nichol

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I took some time to totally go through and clean all the parts of this Berliner. The parts polished up very nicely. This has the brass gear and not the fiber gear that drives the governor. I wonder when the transition was made to the fiber gear.
Ken
Attachments
DSCN1155.JPG
DSCN1145.JPG
DSCN1146.JPG
DSCN1154.JPG
DSCN1153.JPG

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Ken,

When I saw your pictures it reminded me of a factory fresh machine!
About as NOS as you can find. :mrgreen:
Great purchase, and you have it looking Great!

Bob S.
Attachments
berliner.jpg