Can anyone identify this model of Zonophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fonograph
Victor II

Re: Can anyone identify this model of Zonophone?

Post by fonograph »

Here's a link that I found. Not sure who owns it.

http://www.zonober.com/zono/machines.htm

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

dennis wrote:Is there a website, similar to the Victor Victrola Page, that allows you to date Zonophones by serial number?
That would be wonderful, but I haven't seen anything like that. Zonophone's original corporate documentation seems to be long gone.

George P.

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

Hello everyone. I thought I would update you on the progress of the location of parts for the Zonophone Concert that I purchased in January. I have been very lucky in obtaining a tone arm from "Victor II" as noted in previous comments on this post, and since then have found the crank, the back bracket and proper reproducer which is in need of a rebuild. Finding these parts was amazing, and no easy feat, I must say. The one remaining requirement needed to complete the cadre of parts is one single bolt to attach the back bracket to the body of the machine. I have one and have tried to match it from current manufactured bolts from all different parts of the world with no luck. However I do know what I am looking for. The actual description of the bolt needed is: Metric Bolt, size M6, Slotted Round Head, 1 ½" long. At least I know what I am looking for. Well, I figured I would let you guys know what I need in hopes that someone might have one or two of the bolts so that I can actually attach the back bracket and hear what this machine sounds like. Hope to hear from you. Mike

vic-b
Victor I

Post by vic-b »

Here is an example of what you need for the machine. These come up relatively frequently on ebay. You can see what it sold for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZONOPHONE-DISC ... SwvMFbAFHs

The question as to the age of the machine is answered by the tag on the bottom of the case. Unfortunately, the year is lost in the photograph that you have posted. Look at the left hand lower corner of the paper label. It says October 1, 190(?). I think it is 1903, but can't tell. It easily could be later as the appropriate reproducer for this machine is a Victor Exhibition style reproducer. This machine, even though having a "waffle" metal bed plate was made AFTER Zonophone was acquired by Victor. This would have been September of 1904, if memory serves. (Others can correct me, I won't mind.) This is the same style paper label that Victor used contemporaneously!

As for the crank, original cranks come up relatively frequently on ebay, and should be had for $250 or less. There are well made reproductions on ebay from JAS Antiques:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reproduction-Z ... Sw-RFadMWl

Good luck!!! I love Zonophones!!!

Jeff
Wisconsin