WANTED: Polly Portable speed adjusting knob

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
A Ford 1
Victor II

WANTED: Polly Portable speed adjusting knob

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi All,
I have a Polly Portable missing the speed adjusting knurled knob and spring. Does any one have a replacement knob or spring they are willing to part with.
Temporarily, I am using a machine screw, washer, and spring I bought at the hardware store.
Thank You All kindly,
Allen
Last edited by A Ford 1 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howardpgh
Victor II

Re: WANTED: Poly Portable speed adjusting knob

Post by howardpgh »

What size screw thread is the screw? Length?
I have a Poly missing the speed adjuster.

A Ford 1
Victor II

Re: WANTED: Polly Portable speed adjusting knob

Post by A Ford 1 »

howardpgh wrote:What size screw thread is the screw? Length?
I have a Poly missing the speed adjuster.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi All,
I have a Polly Portable missing the speed adjusting knurled knob and spring. Does any one have a replacement knob or spring they are willing to part with.

Thank You All kindly,
Allen
Allen,
What spring and washer..??. There isn't suppose to be any. It is simply a threaded shaft with a knurled knob that has F-S stamped into the top...as shown in the pic I posted for you in the other thread.

I would be surprised that George V doesn't have one. He has or had many parts for these models.

Here is the speed screw (on the right) next to a Victor III speed screw. The threading is thicker on the Polly.

Hope this helps.
20180609_081955_HDR.jpg
20180609_081948_HDR.jpg
20180609_082007_HDR.jpg

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi,
Thanks for the tip to find an original speed screw.
I had to use a washer because the spring inside diameter was about the size of the screw head and I did not want the speed to change in a discontinuous fasion due to the inter action of the end of the spring and the screw head. I used the spring because as I recall George Epple's Polly had one to minimize the chance of the screw changing position in transit. George explained the design of the large head full dog machine screw to me over the phone including the F-S stamping. I hope to visit him when he finishes and recovers from large vein zapping he is having performed on his leg veins.
I was pressed for time when I went to the hardware store to get the screw and I do not recall the size of the screw but it was a 10 or 12 I think. When I get a chance I will try to determine the size and post it.