By Any Means Necessary!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: By Any Means Necessary!

Post by Lucius1958 »

I may have to resort to something like this, just to get a package over to the post office...

Bill

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

In 1983 a much younger me bought a Capehart 400 series radio phono at a night auction in Virginia. Got it for $2.00 (found out the speakers were gone). Also found out that all purchases had to be removed that night. Found out how much you can get into the trunk of a 1975 Pontiac Ventura. Got home OK with it sticking up in the trunk, although I heard the tailpipe scrape the pavement a few times. Found out friends and neighbors aren't so thrilled with your good luck when you ask them to help move it indoors at 11:00 at night. That Pontiac was a tank, I was rear-ended twice over the years with no discernable damage or injury.
Attachments
Not mine, but identical case & finish.
Not mine, but identical case & finish.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Next stop, the mattress store, gonna get 'um a new mattress and single thin rope looped thru the windows, for the car roof. At freeway speeds, all you need to do to keep things secure is keep a grip on the mattress with your left hand, while steering with the right.
hey that's just how I buy mattresses! On the phono, I thought, well at least he made it to the show with no problems. But then, I thought, or maybe he just bought it. Uh Oh! Road kill at the first dip or bump! Is that a Credenza?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

At an auction I once saw a buyer load a large cabinet gramophone into his car, slam down the tailgate and watch in horror as the front legs of the cabinet broke through the rear window glass. He wasn't a bit pleased, and some of the ladies present learned a few new words :oops: .

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

That machine has survived nearly one hundred years. We have a responsibility to care for our things. Maybe Allstate is making a new commercial. "Yes, we've seen it and covered it"...(but we cancelled the idiot). Jerry Blais

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

What you all talking about? It is well secured. Did you all miss the the support tie to the radio antenna?

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

You naysayers are all wrong.

Give the guy a break, he was really only trying to apply his love for talking machines by emulating the young kids.

He just got the execution wrong.
maxresdefault.jpg
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Sorry to burst the bubble of all the naysayers, but the Credenza arrived safely at it’s new home. The seller, Mike Patella followed up with a phone call to the buyer this morning and got the good news.

Gotta have faith!

Raphael

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Raphael wrote:Sorry to burst the bubble of all the naysayers, but the Credenza arrived safely at it’s new home. The seller, Mike Patella followed up with a phone call to the buyer this morning and got the good news.

Gotta have faith!

Raphael
I talked to Mike this morning and he hadn’t heard back yet. Glad to hear the machine (and car) made it intact!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Nothing new... We see a lot of this type of redneck "ingenuity" around NC... :lol:

Everything from sofas, mattresses, tables and chairs, ladders, washing machines, refrigerators, 8 foot logs, loads of hardwood flooring, etc. all laying in the middle or on the sides of various roads and expressways... I once saw a large boat in the ditch along I-40, suffering from severe road rash... :? several miles later I encountered a large motor home with an empty boat trailer parked on the side of the road. I always wondered how you would explain to your wife, that you went to Lowes and bought a refrigerator and somehow lost it on the way home...

All this because some brilliant person decided to transport them and tie them down in a similar manner as shown in the picture... :roll:

Since he apparently made it home, only luck prevailed...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife