By Any Means Necessary!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: By Any Means Necessary!

Post by drh »

Curt A wrote:...Since he apparently made it home, only luck prevailed...
In fairness, that packing job may well have been more secure than it looked. Assuming the guy did not remove the motor, I'd be willing to guess the machine's center of gravity was within the confines of the trunk. Would I have done it that way? Not on a bet. But if faced with one of those "necessity is the mother of invention" situations, perhaps it could have been done worse. In fact, I know it could; one of our forum members who works on my machines locally has recounted how some guy retrieved his Victrola, set it unsecured and upright on the bed of his pickup truck, and drove away. Apparently he actually made it to the first stop sign down the street before the poor machine tipped over and fell from his truck.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

No one has said what machine that is. Is it a Victrola Credenza?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

marcapra wrote:No one has said what machine that is. Is it a Victrola Credenza?
Yes

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Here in the Northeast, we call it "yankee ingenuity", or the "can-do" spirit. I'm happy to hear he made it home, but would hope he finds a pickup truck or van the next time. :)

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

rhammond
Victor Jr

Post by rhammond »

I sure hope that this was NOT that wonderful 9-54 or 5 Electrola that was in the back room. I wanted to buy that one so badly and I was trying to figure out a way to get it to Minneapolis. It got sold while I was trying to figure out transportation. It really was in nice shape but it needed a full rebuild and a speaker. I was worried about moving it in the back of a Toyota Tacoma.

Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

Post by Polyphone »

Brandon, One terrific photograph! Does anyone know where he was heading and if he got it there?

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Polyphone wrote:Brandon, One terrific photograph! Does anyone know where he was heading and if he got it there?
Iowa - apparently it did make it!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Better than being behind this guy :lol:
daily_picdump_1506_71.jpg