Victrola Speed Control Issue

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Victrola Speed Control Issue

Post by apruizii »

I'm trying to calibrate the speed to 78 RPM on a Victrola VV-90 I picked up needing some TLC. However, I can only get it to stay steady at around 75-76 RPM when turning the speed regulator screw to the right almost all of the way down. Turning the screw just a little (quarter-half of a turn) makes the RPM rise quickly to 100+. I also notice that when I turn the crank while it's at 75-76 RPM the RPM rise to 80-85 RPM for a couple of seconds and then settles back down to 75-76 RPM. The Victrola had two broken governor springs but I found the two fly weights in the cabinet. I only replaced the two broken springs, not the good one. Is the governor so sensitive that I need to replace the third spring to have matching springs and everything weighing the same? Could this be causing the speed problem? I would appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks,

AR

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Victrola Speed Control Issue

Post by Lucius1958 »

As a general rule, whenever you have to replace governor springs or weights, it's best to replace all of them at once. That way, you have a matching set.

Bill

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

I had this problem recently on a machine I bought from someone who was afraid to wind the machine fully. I fully wound and unwound the machine 10 or so times, and put light oil on the governor bearings and pad and that greatly increased the speed stability. Fully cleaning and relubricating your motor will definitely help as well.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

I replaced all three springs with a matching set and still had the same issue. But our forum member, Walt S., was able to fix my problem. According to Walt, "I have seen this a few times and have solved the issue with different springs...there is a difference in the size and the way that the brass was machined on some governors. As far as I am aware this only seems to be something seen in later (say, after 1915 or 1916) Victor two, three and four spring motors that use 1-1/14" springs. I have seen this occur now four times including yours. But in each instance, the alternate spring set always works."

The new set of springs that Walt made fixed the problem. Once again Walt, thanks for the help...I appreciate it!!

AR

PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Post by PeteLeoni »

For anyone browsing this. 2 issues I have found:

1.The "worm" gear on the governor. Even if completely clean and all lubricants are seemingly off, there is likely to be *hardened* grease deep in the grooves, this must be "chipped off" mechanically. I used a nylon fine screw driver but I feel with care it could be done with a normal small screwdriver, then you will plainly see the "bottom" of the gear it won't look dark. That old grease on those gears builds up "plaque" in the bottom of the grooves. In fact dental instruments would probably .
be a good tool.

2. Even if the leather seems fine, replace it and soak it with machine oil. You will be surprised how much oil a new leather "bit" will hold.

3. Steel wool clean the wheel that the leather rides on. Get all of the steel wool off. Brass doesn't like steel wool poop too much.

This gave me excellent speed stability with very little wow and flutter.
Again the Victor engineers of that era are amazing.