Victor VE 9-25, VE 9-54

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: Victor VE 9-25, VE 9-54

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I love it too! The styling on that cabinet is fantastic. Unfortunately I am not likely to run into one here in the UK..... although I did find my 9-55 here in the UK but quite how it ever came to be here in the first place I'll never know!

Any chance of a picture of the back and insides?

S-B-H
Last edited by Swing Band Heaven on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

It should arrive at its new home sometime this weekend. I'll shoot some pics next week and post them for you. So far, I know it is missing the amplifier and speaker (and the albums). I think I have a speaker among my parts, the rest is going to require some searching. Cheers, Russie

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

startgroove wrote:It should arrive at its new home sometime this weekend. I'll shoot some pics next week and post them for you. So far, I know it is missing the amplifier and speaker (and the albums). I think I have a speaker among my parts, the rest is going to require some searching. Cheers, Russie
Yes, the amplifier will be the hardest. Although there are option substitutes if you are not trying to keep it "All Original"
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

What is the correct model of amplifier? I see on another thread it is supposed to be an AP-772, yet I got a message from someone saying it is supposed to be an AP-771. I think the closest one would be a Radiola 64 amp which is an AP-777. Perhaps it could be modified into a 9-54 amp. Confusing or what?

need4art
Victor II
Personal Text: A man is not a man who does not make the world a better place

Post by need4art »

Well, my 9-54 is complete and original and had been in the family since new and has a complete set of the original albums I am in the middle of redecorating another room and EVERYTHING is piled inside of my victrola room. Once I can get it cleared out, I will side it out and remove the back panels. Its very dusty inside, was last serviced in 1949 and stopped playing in the mid 60's as the daughter remembered. Inside are the service tags and extra tubes.

The machine went from Chicago, to Ca. not far from where Rudy Vallee lived, and then to Sun City AZ where I bought it at the family's estate sale where I was hired to appraise the family's art.

I never posted pictures of it, but Keith (Pierce Arrow on the forum) saw the machine at my home and was amazed at the cabinets condition-it looks like new.

The electronics will all need to be done, and I am not up to that and will try to find someone local but will probably have to send the components out, but am hooked on getting my 10-50 working and cabinet restored first

Abe

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Russie the 64 and 67 radio phono re the same electronically as the 9-54 my 9-54 has a 777 ...but i have seen one tht had a BLACK finish amp that i believe was. A fctory upgrde in 1929-30

My 9-54 does indeed have the C version of the amp .boy these sets are a pain to move :x
Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Post by victor 15-1 »

Vinrage_mania wrote:Russie the 64 and 67 radio phono re the same electronically as the 9-54 my 9-54 has a 777 ...but i have seen one tht had a BLACK finish amp that i believe was. A fctory upgrde in 1929-30
The radiola 67 and radiola 64 amps are not the same but close.
The '50 in the '67 has a higher plate voltage and the output device is different.
the radiola 64 uses the AP772 withe no scratch filter in the output transformer and the Electrola 9-54 uses the Ap777C modified with scratch filter and wired for slightly higher plate voltage on the '50. A supply out of a staight radiola 64 will work with slightly diminished performance

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

There is one more thing. The Radiola AP-772 will "fit" and the cable harness will match up. The Radiola 67 AP-?? has a different terminal block and connection to the speaker. But the 50 plate voltage is higher and it does have the output filter. These amplifiers were made by both Westinghouse and GE and you can tell by the first digit of the serial number. That may be why some are painted black and some are brown.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

You guys are very helpful, I very much appreciate this information! Thank you for steering me in the right direction. I've looked up the diagrams of the various power supplies of that era in Rider's, and found many amplifiers that could work. I eliminated most of them, because they had ballast tubes in them (that would not "appear" correct for the model 9-54). That leaves the AP-777, the 9-18 power amplifier, and the Radiola 64 power amplifier as my choices. The "output filter" could be added, or not, to the Radiola 64 power amplifier.

One little detail that is a bit confusing: the Rider's picture for the 9-54 power amp tube layout shows two 50's, yet the schematic shows only one. Can we assume that is an error, and that there is only one?

Does anyone have a picture of the power amp?

Cheers, Russie
Last edited by startgroove on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Russie Thats funny the one the pictorial imige and voltage chart are correct one 50 tube ...not the other one !