Seeking info on reproducer heads for a VV 1-6

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ContextSans
Victor Jr

Seeking info on reproducer heads for a VV 1-6

Post by ContextSans »

Hello all,
First time poster, so please be gentle...
In my enthusiasm to learn about a new field of mechanical things, I bought a VV 1-6 on eBay, and now I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a reproducer head that'll fit it. The original listing said it'd need a No 4 reproducer, and other folks have told me that these should be interchangeable, at least from the tonearm end. (If they fit in the case while closed is a separate question.)

I bought a Victor Orthophonic reproducer on eBay - it's a wreck, but even if I was to restore it, it looks like the inner back rubber flange is too large? It's got an inner metal support ring, so I'm not sure if the rubber (which was like rock) would've made up the gap in its original supple state, or if the thing is just too wide. Can anyone take a caliper to the back of a No 4 for me, and tell me what the inner diameter is? They seem a bit rare, and I'd rather not buy another reproducer that I can't use... But I'm also starting to worry that someone may have replaced the tonearm with something more delicate. :P

coyote
Victor II

Re: Seeking info on reproducer heads for a VV 1-6

Post by coyote »

Welcome to the forum!

The VV 1-6 was originally supplied with a No. 4 soundbox/reproducer. The inside diameter of the metal ring inside the rubber isolator for the No. 2 and No. 4 is a different size than the Orthophonic. However, I think the the outer diameters of the isolators may be the same, so in theory you can purchase a new isolator for a No. 4 and put it into the Orthophonic reproducer to make it fit your tonearm. I haven't tried this personally, so I can't say conclusively that it's a direct fit. They do look to be the same outer size, but fit may be dependent on the supplier of the isolator.

Perhaps someone (gramophone-georg?) will have more direct experience with this.

See the relevant posts below. Hope this helps!

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=32957
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=32603
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=28143

I'll let someone else comment on the merits/drawbacks of an Orthophonic reproducer on a portable. A No. 4 is much less complex and easier to rebuild properly than an Orthophonic. It's difficult to find a serviceable No. 4 without a bunch of cracking in the pot metal, and you do have to pay up a bit for them. There are brass versions, but they are much harder to find. Personally, I'd hold out for a decent No. 4, even if it takes a while. The No. 4 can sound quite good when restored.

Posting a photo of the end of your tonearm here will clear up the question of whether it has been replaced or not.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I recently bought my second VV 2-30. It came with a very nice #4A reproducer, which I understand is the exact same as the #4 but it is made of brass instead. Mine has a decent isolator and it’s inside diameter measures .694”-.699”. Unfortunately both machines have tone arm base bracket problems, one is frozen and the other is broken. I wish that part was brass instead of it likely being made of pot metal.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

As noted, the VV-1-6 was originally supplied with a #4 sound box -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/1-6.htm

The #4 sound box ( https://www.nipperhead.com/old/vic4sb01.htm )was also offered separately by Victor (for $5) as an upgrade to older (pre-1925) Victrola models--as a replacement for the originally supplied #2 sound box or the Exhibition sound box--enabling them to play the newly introduced electrical recordings more evenly, without blasting, etc.

While a #2 or Exhibition sound box would fit the tonearm, your best best would be to hunt down a good condition #4/4a sound box--they do come up for sale from time to time--and sell the Orthophonic sound box as an off-set. In the meantime, you could probably rig the Orthophonic sound box to fit the tonearm, using a thin cardboard or rubber collar.

Just my two cents,
OF

ContextSans
Victor Jr

Post by ContextSans »

Hello belatedly! I guess I haven't figured out how to turn on email notifications of replies!

Thanks all for your help. On the advice of a few people I bought a No 2 head for it - and holy cow it's much louder than I expected! I actually jumped when it started.

Unfortunately, the tonearm is binding, so I'm back to the shoepolish and sandpaper method to find the high points. (It's also missing a set screw, so I figure it's torquing in the holder bracket and binding.) Anyone know if the 1-6 was supposed to have ball bearings? I can't imagine where they'd go, but it also seems strange to have metal on metal here. (Debating cutting a gasket out of the next teflon mailer I get, just to see if it helps.)