How I got started. My first Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
rvwenger
Victor I

How I got started. My first Victrola

Post by rvwenger »

After my Great Grandmothers death in 1964. My Mom purchased this Victrola from her estate. My Aunt relates the fun of going to grandmas and winding up the victrola and playing the old records. After my mother purchased it, it was then stored in there new home in a crawl space under the stairs. There it stayed until after her death in 2013. Mother often spoke of the "Old record player" and wanted me to have it after her passing. I brought it home in April 2014 after selling the family home. I sought out someone to handle it's restoration. I was able to enlist the services of Paul Edie. The victrola was delivered to his shop in June 2014 and a cleaning of the wood, and complete mechanical rebuild was done. The original finish was kept intact. The only mark is where something dripped down the front and left a line as seen in the pictures. The drip line can be seen on the Pooley cabinet that has been it's partner since new ( 1916 new that is )It's now a permanet scar that will forever identify this VI.

After leaving Paul's shop near Detroit, I met up with relatives at the family plot in Battle Creek, Michigan ( Yes, they were there in the beginning with Kelloggs ). So for my first playing of the VI, I played half a dozen of my Great Grandmothers records for her. We actually drew a crowd in a Cemetery on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

We also brought the VI when we dedicated a bench we donated at the retirement center where my mom spent her final days. I got some unusual looks when I tried to play some classical pieces...but when I played a well known song , they sang right a long. I stuck with that and I'll enjoy Ernastine Schumann Heink on my own ;-)

My wife thanks my Mom every time we bring a new player home. Don'y get me wrong, for those of you that have met my wife can attest, she enjoys this hobby as much as I do.

Thanks for reading my story. This is how I got started in this hobby, and have enjoyed meeting and learning from you.
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
photo 3.jpg
VV-VI.jpg
IMG_1622.jpg
P1200310.JPG
P1200314.JPG
IMG_6499.JPG
1908461_10152815831316224_1296371527329049200_n.jpg

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Re: How I got started. My first Victrola

Post by Springmotor70 »

Wow! - Great story and pictures! - I admit I've never taken a phonograph to any family plot, but I might now...
:D
I did take a portable many times to my grandmother's nursing home (she was born in 1909) and played many of her favorite songs from her youth. A decade later I would take an electric portable to my other grandmother's nursing home (she was born in 1917) and play the late 30s and early 40's Swing tunes she liked best from her youth.
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Yes what a great story and photos--I'm sure your grandmother would be so touched--and very proud!
I used to play 78's for my grandmother as well--she was also born in 1909 so I'd play records of the '20's she remembered and
when she heard them on modern equipment she was impressed with the quality of the sound. She said "they never sounded this good in my day--but when we got our orthophonic credenza it sounded so much better than what we had before." She remembered that was in 1927 because that year she graduated high school and learned to drive!
I asked her whatever happened to that machine and she said they lost everything when the Depression came.
A sad but common tale.
But they did manage to keep a few items including an old Victor storage album of acoustic ethnic 78's her parents had purchased in the early '20s which she gave to me and I still have them.
That's how I got started.

Steven

New Yorker
Victor Jr

Post by New Yorker »

Simply lovely. And thoughtful. Well done, sir.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Great posting, and nice photos!