What do you do when ??,or another common machine cheap

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Vinrage_mania
Victor II

What do you do when ??,or another common machine cheap

Post by Vinrage_mania »

ok tomorrow I am buying a Victor VI table model machine from a person who brought it into a local antique store (sf bay area)
and offered the machine AND a very nice oak table for $50 ,it plays but is un restored . I really do not need it but want it to go at some point to a good home rather than a thrift store to br destroyed by mind less rug rats !! :o my question is the world is full of victor XI machines and the like .....do all collectors pass them over because the have one two three in the garage ?? ....as Dr Smith would say “oh the pain”......( see now i am admitting my age AND that i have. watched Lost in Space !!! )
Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: What do you do when ??,or another common machine cheap

Post by Curt A »

At some point, watching episodes of "Hoarding Buried Alive", will provide a necessary balance...
"It was a bargain I couldn't pass up.", "That's a project I have plans for someday...", "I can't bear to part with that, it causes too much emotional distress.", "Someday, I would like to be able to sit down or find my bed." etc., etc., etc... :roll: :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

what gets me is I do not bat an eye on passing up duplicate records,(if they are not rare) machines no Radios yes no logic there at all

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Vinrage_mania wrote:what gets me is I do not bat an eye on passing up duplicate records,(if they are not rare) machines no Radios yes no logic there at all
Since when is collecting about logic lol
A few months ago I found a first issue pressing of what is probably the rarest commercially-issued Victor record of soprano Amelita Galli-Curci. Her records were hugely popular and are lovely and oh so easy to find--mostly not worth more than $5 in near-mint condition. But I found a top-condition copy of her record of "Little Dorry" in a local shop for $3 and grabbed it even though I already own a copy. Would anyone want to buy it?
I don't know, but because it's supposedly her rarest record, I couldn't just leave it there lol

It's hard to fight emotion with logic :)

Steven

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Viva-voce wrote:
Vinrage_mania wrote:what gets me is I do not bat an eye on passing up duplicate records,(if they are not rare) machines no Radios yes no logic there at all
Since when is collecting about logic lol
A few months ago I found a first issue pressing of what is probably the rarest commercially-issued Victor record of soprano Amelita Galli-Curci. Her records were hugely popular and are lovely and oh so easy to find--mostly not worth more than $5 in near-mint condition. But I found a top-condition copy of her record of "Little Dorry" in a local shop for $3 and grabbed it even though I already own a copy. Would anyone want to buy it?
I don't know, but because it's supposedly her rarest record, I couldn't just leave it there lol

It's hard to fight emotion with logic :)

Steven
That's what spouses and significant others are for.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

That's what spouses and significant others are for.[/quote]

LOL

Steven

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

A Victor VI for $50, regardless of condition, is a good deal anytime. A Victrola VI for $50 might not be such a bargain.

I'm not familiar with a Victor XI... ;)

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

There are many aspects of our hobby that I enjoy. I enjoy sharing and selling phonographs at various venues such as APS, Union, bike swaps, and fairs. So I purchase some things strictly for resale. I also enjoy tinkering and restoring talking machines so it’s a win win for me. Jerry B.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

phonogfp wrote:A Victor VI for $50, regardless of condition, is a good deal anytime. A Victrola VI for $50 might not be such a bargain.

I'm not familiar with a Victor XI... ;)

George P.

so if i set the Victrola VI .....next to a Victor the sixth ...will some “magical”change take place lol

but i see the point Jerry is making too ,I do have one already ...and a IV

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I adopt my antique dealer mentality when it comes to this kind of thing. I'd buy the Victrola and the table, then try to sell both. Hopefully I'd come out ahead if it is a decent table. Then after they don't sell, I would put them in my hoarding pile. At that point, I would be able to tell myself that I'm not a hoarder, because at least I tried to sell them before they ended up crushing me in my sleep.