Buying records

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
dsaint1
Victor Jr

Buying records

Post by dsaint1 »

I just got my first antique phonograph Wednesday, a Victrola IX. I didn't know much about them before then but spent most of yesterday learning as much as I could. I also bought four albums of old records. I read that the best records to play are the ones made abound the mid 1930s or earlier. All the records I have are from the 1940s and 1950s. Although they will work, I would really like to find some records from the 1920s. I work a lot of hours at my job so I don't have a lot of time to hunt for them at flea markets and estate sales. Is there any good websites or other places I can buy records?
Diedra

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Buying records

Post by Wolfe »

Someone starting out might do well checking out some job lots on e-bay. There are sellers there that will sell bundles of common dance band records or pop songs (or whatever is your fancy) for pretty low prices. Sometimes as little as the equivalent of two or three bucks per record.

Not too many websites out there that are dedicated to selling 78's. Venerable Music is one.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Also, if you are new to 78s, you might want to search YouTube for 1920s/1930s music to determine what genre you like... blues, jazz, dance bands, comedy, etc. and which artists appeal to you. It takes time to learn what you actually like...

You can listen before actually buying any records. That way, you learn what to look for and avoid buying a bunch of "duds" or music you really don't like... just an idea. I never buy box lots of records because most of them are boring or not enjoyable. I only buy titles I have listened to. Certain 78s command a premium price because they are exceptional and not just run of the mill recordings.

This also works on a smart phone if you are in an antique shop or flea market and not sure what a record sounds like, just search YouTube and listen before buying. There are a million great sounding titles that aren't worth the time it takes to play them, so don't go by "catchy" sounding titles unless you have heard them first... just my opinion. This may save you a ton of money and also help keep your back healthy by not having to haul them around to get rid of them...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Shameless plug: I am listing larger lots of clean early records in the Yankee Trader as I type. There's a lot of 50 Victor and Victrola "Red Seals" I just put up that are the perfect companion for your Victrola unless classical/ opera isn't your "thing". I also have thousands of other records I'm cleaning out in lots suitable for Victrolas.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I have purchased many records on ebay. First, find the music from the era you like on You Tube. Then search for the record on ebay. You may not find it right away, but save your search and keep at it for a while. Before you buy, learn about condition. It's not complected, but a bit confusing. An example of the rating system used:
GOOD=not so good. I have generally had good luck finding pleasing 78's and some Diamond Disks for my Edison machine. Good luck and good hunting.
https://www.ebay.com/gds/A-guide-to-Vin ... rmvSB=true
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

If you're simply looking for a specific era of music then learning the labels would make finding discs much faster. For example, the Victor "bat wing" label was in use from the mid teens until ~1925. Columbia used the "magic note", "not the notes" and "Grafonola" labels in this era. If you look up just these few then you'll be able to tell at a glance if the records are for the era you're looking for.

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

I live in PA so not sure about Alabama, but although it is always hit/miss, I do stumble upon 78s from the 20s pretty regularly at Salvation Army or Goodwill stores. I can go weeks without seeing one, but this week came across a box of about 50 for 50 cents each, of which there were many interesting titles and labels.

CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

Post by CPBarnum »

Also new to the hobby, but thus far Facebook Marketplace has been amazing for me. I've picked up four lots of records, the most recent one yesterday as I type this. Check it out: Not a bad haul for $40 -- most in excellent condition, general emphasis on classical and gospel, but also some nice big band, the usual post-WW2 pop (but not as much as one might expect), tons of Victor batwings, a smattering of 12-inch 78s, and some interesting odds and ends I'll have to research.
78 records.jpg
This. however, was a little heartbreaking, as it was quite literally the only early jazz record in the whole batch and I love Fats Waller:
78 records 2.jpg
Last edited by CPBarnum on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CPBarnum
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Longtime music lover, Grafonola newbie

Post by CPBarnum »

donniej wrote:If you're simply looking for a specific era of music then learning the labels would make finding discs much faster. For example, the Victor "bat wing" label was in use from the mid teens until ~1925. Columbia used the "magic note", "not the notes" and "Grafonola" labels in this era. If you look up just these few then you'll be able to tell at a glance if the records are for the era you're looking for.
A nice resource along these lines:

http://majesticrecord.com/labels.htm