Did all VE 10-50s come with a record loader?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Did all VE 10-50s come with a record loader?

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Only my Late style 10-50s have a record loader (the thing that looks like a wooden candle stick holder). The Late style is the only style that has a shelf to store it on (it’s also the style with a drawer and a wood divider between the 10” & 12” album boxes).

Since none of my Early and Mid styles have the loader (nor the shelf to store it on), I was thinking that maybe they weren’t sold with a loader. Is this true?

EarlH
Victor III

Re: Did all VE 10-50s come with a record loader?

Post by EarlH »

Wayne,
I am guessing they did because the style of "program box" is the same for all of those early automatic machines. The needle eye one the loading handle has some variations though. I have seem a couple of styles of the eye on that needle. I have found it easier just to load my 10-70 without that thing. But my 10-70 does have a little shelf for the loading spindle. Good luck with your casting project now. You are getting a lot of time into that one. Earl.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

My "first style" 10-50 came from the original owner's daughter and it came with a record loader and the original manual, shipping tags, all that great stuff. The manual pictures and explains how to use the loader. I have no reason to believe it was added later. It is kind of a pain to just have the loader just randomly sitting in the playing compartment!

Hope this helps!
Sean

Springmotor70
Victor I
Personal Text: Everybody Panatrope!

Post by Springmotor70 »

The changer had a record loader from the very beginning as mentioned by the others, the shelf was added later as a better place to keep it out of the way while the machine was playing...
"I think he was vaccinated with a phonograph needle"
My Old Boss 1923 - 2010

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Ok, thanks everyone.

I need four of them if there any spares out there.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

I should have at least looked at the 10-50 Owners Manual. It clearly shows a picture of an Early style 10-50 and the use of the record loader.

Also, I just learned that there were two styles of record loaders (info kindly provided by a TMF member) and I see that I have some of both. There's the later Spear-tip style which is made of one piece of rod, flattened and speared at it working end, and the Loop-tip, which has an oval loop soldered to the end of the rod.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

I'm assuming the loop tip is the earlier style? That's what my 10-50 has...

Sean

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Sean,

Yes the Loop-tip loader was the early type that came on the the Early style 10-50 (the one without a drawer), and the Spear-tip loader was the later type that came on the Late style 10-50 (the one with a drawer and a wood divider between the 10" and 12" album boxes). What I am wondering is what type of loader came on the Mid style 10-50 (the one with a drawer but no wood divider).

Also, I was informed that the same story exist with the other type 1 changer machines. I checked my 9-55 record loaders and indeed it checked out. The lower serial numbers had the Loop-tip and higher serial numbers had the Spear-tip.

-Wayne