Back in the game!, my new Edison Standard

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Back in the game!, my new Edison Standard

Post by kirtley2012 »

I know its not much of a machine to shout of the rooftops about but I'm very happy

I used to have a number of nice machines, including an Edison Fireside A and 1899 Columbia Q, then for some reason I'll never fully understand I sold almost all of my machines, all but a couple of portable gramophones and a Cylinder shaver.
Luckily, I kept all of my cylinders but I've wanted another cylinder phonograph, especially with a large brass horn for quite some time.

Foolishly, I got eBay, then one day I found this machine on there, it was sold with a spun aluminium horn, and I'd just sold a guitar so thought I'd make a cheeky offer on it, they counter offered and in a moment of weakness I accepted, then because I was on an eBay roll I found a phonograph being sold with a large brass horn, and I managed to buy the horn alone.

So here I am, it's a humble Edison Standard model A, it was dry as a bone when it arrived, so I gave it a quick bit of oil, rigged up a temporary belt and played through my old collection, I'm pretty happy with it.

Still need to do a bit of work on it, the motor is loose as the original rubber motor grommets have disintegrated entirely, and the reproducer needs a new body and hinge block but for now it's working
DSC01741.JPG
DSC01742.JPG
DSC01743.JPG
DSC01745.JPG

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: Back in the game!, my new Edison Standard

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I'm glad you have an Edison Standard.
Don

catfishjohn
Victor O

Re: Back in the game!, my new Edison Standard

Post by catfishjohn »

I like the diamond shaped label on the lid. I wonder if some very careful cleaning would bring it out a bit. Very nice.