Orthophonic reproducer rebuild

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonh19
Victor I

Orthophonic reproducer rebuild

Post by Edisonh19 »

Hi folks! I am repairing an Orthophonic reproducer for a friend, and I've encountered something that I haven't seen before. The needle chuck pivots on the needle bar. Is this normal? It seems to me that it would cause wear/damage to records played with it since the needle can sit at an odd angle to the record groove. The reproducer is from an early Granada model (straight horn, no speaker screen type from 1925).

I have rebuilt Orthophonics before, but I have not seen this type of construction on the needle chuck/needle bar. I will add a couple of photos in a few minutes so that you can see what I am talking about.

Any information about this? Just an earlier design that I haven't seen?

Thank you!
Ed
9F9EFE04-0957-412A-9B58-C50D0E77DC49.jpeg
Attachments
C5F56D53-06AE-48D1-8809-3201B26C1738.jpeg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Orthophonic reproducer rebuild

Post by OrthoFan »

Edisonh19 wrote:... The needle chuck pivots on the needle bar. Is this normal? ...
I suspect that the needle chuck area worked itself loose from the needle bar at this joint --
capture1.jpg
capture1.jpg (37.71 KiB) Viewed 843 times
FROM: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE4MlgxNjAw/ ... 880000500F

After detaching the needle bar foot from the diaphragm, you'll have to knock out the pivot rod (shown next to the needle bar) to remove the needle bar, and then solder it.

OrthoFan

Edisonh19
Victor I

Re: Orthophonic reproducer rebuild

Post by Edisonh19 »

Thanks so much for the response! I haven't seen one loose like this before. I learn something new all the time with these machines and parts. Thank you for the information!