Crank Shaft Thread Sizes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Crank Shaft Thread Sizes

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

All 3 make a big difference. Colbalt is the strongest. Lubricating oil prevents metal on metal contact, cutting oil does the opposite. Home Depot sells thread cutting oil in the plumbing department. A hand held drill may be spinning too high of a speed and pretty much requires two hands. When the shaft is clamped down on a drill press, this frees one hand to constantly add drops of oil. I only pull my cheap desk top drill press once every few years but it makes a world of difference. Never heard of a starter bit until you mentioned it but getting the hole centered and started is the hardest part. Maybe just slowing down the speed and using cutting oil would complete the job.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Cobalt bit + cutting oil = 2 NEW HOLES!!

YeeHaa! Thanks!

Cliff
Attachments
IMG_4075.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Fantastic! Nice work.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Ken,

Oh my gosh. The ¼”-24 chrome vintage motorcycle bolts came in today. Fastenal, McMaster, nor any other fastener seller sells these bolts in that size. Does not matter, they don’t fit anyway. It must be #12-24 as you thought which is a standard #12 course thread bolt. I will go to Home Depot and try my Victor bolt in a #12-24 nut. Pictured below are both bolts:
Attachments
87C39B43-FE93-475E-9062-9F294DB00813.jpeg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Wayne,
Here is a link to McMaster Carr's page with 12-24 bolts.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-hex- ... s/=1dqqjkg
Ken

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Everyone sells #12-24 bolts, it's the ¼”-24 that was only available by vintage motorcycle parts sellers (and a Duesenberg parts seller).

I just got back from Home Depot and tried out a #12-24 bolt on a nut from a standard Victrola motor hold-down bolt. It screws in but is super wiggly, which is not right. So I re-tried that Victrola nut with the ¼”-24 chrome vintage motorcycle ¼”-24 bolts I received yesterday. It fits perfectly. What? So I tried all 10 chrome bolts in the package, turns out 5 out of 10 are bad, poor chroming or something.

None the less, The bottom line is Victor used a lot of ¼”-24 bolts on their machines and replacements appear to only be available by vintage motorcycle and some rare car parts sellers. Exactly the same situation exist with single conductor 16 gauge cloth covered wire... case closed.