Edison Standard A - All fixed up

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Edison Standard A - All fixed up

Post by kirtley2012 »

I have put a couple of posts up regarding this machine, but it's now all fixed up and playing.

The reproducer was on the verge of being scrapped, with the original hinge block being destroyed and pin firmly jammed in the body, I managed to get the pin out and made a new threaded pin and now it works, need some better glue for attaching the pin to the block but it's working for now.

I've oiled it up, it was incredibly dry, made a new belt and glued the loose case back together, it plays steady and makes it through JUST short of two cylinders on a full wind, so the spring still has enough strength in it.

It's serial number S153436, don't quite know where that places it date wise.

Fitted it with a 30" brass horn, and a very cool thing is a decal on the lid from presumably the original dealer
DSC01756.JPG
DSC01757.JPG
DSC01759.JPG

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Re: Edison Standard A - All fixed up

Post by Mormon S »

Looks great. I'm sure you could get the dents out with a hard rubber mallet and something to contour on the outside. You can find videos on YouTube of people fixing dents in brass instruments, like tubas, trombones,and trumpets etc.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I bet that thing sounds great with that long horn on it! Now you've got me wanting to do another overhaul on my own Standard A.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:I bet that thing sounds great with that long horn on it! Now you've got me wanting to do another overhaul on my own Standard A.
It does now, just finished working on the reproducer, I turned the stylus to get a fresh edge and now it's really picking up, only problem is I need another project now!

I may keep one eye open for a conversion kit I can fit to it

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Thanks for sharing the progress with your Edison Standard A.