Edison Model H reproducer with sidearm

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Dulcetto
Victor II

Edison Model H reproducer with sidearm

Post by Dulcetto »

A question please for TMF members who have more knowledge than myself ! I have recently come across an Edison reproducer with side-arm that has a Model H flap-weight and stylus. My first thoughts were than a previous owner has married the flap-weight and stylus to an older reproducer body from a Model C , since I have not previously seen any Model H reproducers with side-arm , only Model C or older reproducers from the 1890's when Edison phonograph models were so fitted with side-arm reproducers . Then it occurred to me that after 1908 , when some owners of older cylinder phonographs were updating their machines to play the new Amberol 4 minute records , an owner of a phonograph from the 1890's whereby the reproducer is held in place with retaining clips and is aligned using the adjusting screw so fitted, would necessarily need to use a side-arm reproducer for proper positioning of the stylus . Can anyone say if the Edison company offered a Model H version with side-arm specifically for such owners ?
Your comments appreciated ! Dulcetto

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Edison Model H reproducer with sidearm

Post by Jerry B. »

I would suspect it's a marriage of a C and H but that is only an educated guess. I would expect that an early machine that was upgraded to a four minute player would also have an upgraded carriage. But I could certainly be wrong. :shock:

Jerry Blais

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

In the instances where an early machine using reproducer clips was converted to 2/4-minute, and the owner did not wish to purchase a new carriage, a Model H with a sidearm was supplied.

According to Steve Medved, there are more variations of the Model H than any other Edison reproducer. Steve wrote a series of articles on all the Edison reproders in The Antique Phonograph. The article on the Model H appears in the December 2015 issue, and APS members can access that issue (and all the others) at the APS web site.

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

And on this topic I am glad to be wrong. :)

Jerry

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Thank you gentlemen for your input , especially to George who has confirmed to me that a side-arm version of the H reproducer was indeed available new . Knowing where the particular reproducer in question had come from , the likelihood of it having been tampered with was virtually nil. Thanks again, I appreciate it. Dulcetto