Edison Idealia vs School machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Re: Edison Idealia vs School machine

Post by Vinrage_mania »

JimN wrote:I bought an Idelia and a School the same year (maybe 10 or 15 years ago). Picked up both at Union. I sold the Idelia last year at the Donley Auction, but couldn't part with the School.

Jim Nichol

Wow both machines in the same year!.well mine was donated to a city near me by a collector in the early seventies ...(along with a Victor School machine) and sat on display for 15 or so years in the main Library until a new 6 story library was built in the late 90s the machine was then re located to storage in a display in a city Park for 10 or so years ......the city auctioned it in 2015 a friend bought it and then me from Him

budsta
Victor I

Post by budsta »

I purchased my school in November 2014. I had expressed interest in this machine many years ago with the collector who owned it. He picked it up in Adelaide Australia in the early 80's.
I guess at some stage we all have to consider downsizing our collection and this is when I got the opportunity to buy it.
I have thought this could make an interesting topic. " How long have you waited to acquire a specific machine".
With this School Opera it was probably around 13/14 years.
I was very please to get it. Unfortunately no stand but I have three of the boxes.
An Idelia would be nice but also substantially more money.

Stephen

docaudio
Victor Jr

Post by docaudio »

JimN wrote:I bought an Idelia and a School the same year (maybe 10 or 15 years ago). Picked up both at Union. I sold the Idelia last year at the Donley Auction, but couldn't part with the School.
Jim Nichol
Hey Jim, Let me know if you ever decide to part with that SG in your photo (can't hurt to ask...) ;)

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Lol gee maybe there are more out there than the 35 in Rene’s data base !

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

docaudio wrote:
Jim Nichol
Hey Jim, Let me know if you ever decide to part with that SG in your photo (can't hurt to ask...) ;)
The Gibson SG is my favorite guitar, so you can't have it! Sorry.

Jim Nichol

docaudio
Victor Jr

Post by docaudio »

JimN wrote:
docaudio wrote:
Jim Nichol
The Gibson SG is my favorite guitar, so you can't have it! Sorry.

Jim Nichol
Don't blame you one bit!

rhammond
Victor Jr

Post by rhammond »

There is an Ideal and an Idealia. One of these is more rare as it was made for a shorter time. As for Edison School machines, In 50 years of collecting, I have only ever seen 3. Two were pretty complete except for the original cylinders and the third was a basket case. While all of these are very rare, I have seen or known of more of the Ideal/Idealia models. Sometimes, it is really amazing what is coming out of the attics and closets. We also have a lot of older collections being broken up which means rare things are showing up and sometimes in very unusual places or sources.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

rhammond wrote:There is an Ideal and an Idealia. One of these is more rare as it was made for a shorter time. As for Edison School machines, In 50 years of collecting, I have only ever seen 3. Two were pretty complete except for the original cylinders and the third was a basket case. While all of these are very rare, I have seen or known of more of the Ideal/Idealia models. Sometimes, it is really amazing what is coming out of the attics and closets. We also have a lot of older collections being broken up which means rare things are showing up and sometimes in very unusual places or sources.
Just to clarify, the Ideal and the Idealia are the same thing. It was originally the Ideal, but quickly changed to Idealia, reportedly because some countries do not allow common dictionary words to be registered as trademarks.