Are Columbia cylinders more prone to mold growth?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
MikeB
Victor II

Are Columbia cylinders more prone to mold growth?

Post by MikeB »

It seems like I find far more moldy Columbia wax cylinders than comparable Edison wax cylinders. Does this have any basis? I was wondering about the differences in the wax formula that Columbia used versus Edison, and if perhaps Columbia cylinders were inferior in some ways. Thanks.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Are Columbia cylinders more prone to mold growth?

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I can't speak to the wax composition, but in my experience Columbia cylinders are definitely more prone to mold than Edison.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

If I remember correctly,Columbia used a different formula for their wax than Edison.That'd be why Columbias have more of a tendency to mold than the Edisons.edisonplayer

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

and Busy Bee's seem to be even worse, although you would think they should be the same.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Personally, I haven't noticed any real difference to that as the Edison 2-minutes (with the exception of the later ones) are also heavily prone to develop mold. I think a good part is owed to the fact of boxes with tighter lids, such as the European style Edison boxes, which tend to provide a better micro climate than the US Edison boxes.

However, there does seem to be a strong emphasis with Pathé cylinders, which I rarely encounter without any signs of mold.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Why else do you think that they call them Gold "Molded"...!!!!!! Hehehehehehehe.....Sorry, But I couldn't resist....! :lol:

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer