2 PART QUESTION ABOUT CHINESE PHONOGRAPHS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PHONOMIKE
Victor III

2 PART QUESTION ABOUT CHINESE PHONOGRAPHS

Post by PHONOMIKE »

I have a couple of these phonographs already and would be interested in added more to my collection. So I'm looking for some info from the experts on here.

1. Which companies made the Japanese lacquered version of phonographs? I know Brunswick and Victor and I've talked to someone who says they have a Pathé' but I can't find much info about any.

2. Where are these Chinese phonographs? In other words, I'm looking to buy. If you have one or know of one get in touch with me please.

I've posted a couple pictures of the 2 I have as a reference to see.

As always, thanks for all the advice and help.

Mike
Attachments
CHINESE BRUNSWICK.jpg
CHINESE VICTROLA.jpg

victor 15-1
Victor I
Personal Text: to own an electrola is a blessing

Re: 2 PART QUESTION ABOUT CHINESE PHONOGRAPHS

Post by victor 15-1 »

PHONOMIKE wrote:I have a couple of these phonographs already and would be interested in added more to my collection. So I'm looking for some info from the experts on here.

1. Which companies made the Japanese lacquered version of phonographs? I know Brunswick and Victor and I've talked to someone who says they have a Pathé' but I can't find much info about any.

2. Where are these Chinese phonographs? In other words, I'm looking to buy. If you have one or know of one get in touch with me please.

I've posted a couple pictures of the 2 I have as a reference to see.

As always, thanks for all the advice and help.

Mike
Adding more of that type of phonograph to a collection is a worthy task indeed..what you have is beautiful!

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Did you happen to seen the Victor Queen Anne that was on e-Bay a few months ago?

JimN
Victor I

Post by JimN »

Mike, the Brunswick pictured is definitely their Japanese Model. I know, because I owned one for 40 years. But I sold it last year. I'm not sure whether the Victor is called Japanese or Chinese, because I'm not a Victor guy.

Jim Nichol

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Japanned chinoiserie. "is the European interpretation and imitation of Chinese and East Asian artistic traditions.."
Japanning was often used to cover up cheaply made cabinets. Once the cabinet was covered in a thick black lacquer, it would be painted in the chinoiserie style. Pretty labor intensive so was offered by many cabinet makers as a custom made cabinet at an extra price.
Here is my HMV 6 with matching record cabinet. I can't at the moment find a better quality photo.( not for sale)
Attachments
12.jpg
12.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 2032 times

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi Mike,
Here is link to the machine that was on ebay. A rare example. John

http://belfastfarmphonographs.com/for-sale/
Horns rolled and straightened

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I think the Queen Anne must have been repainted on the inside as it is missing the gold painted decorations shown on the Japanese VV-XVII or maybe it is a VV-130.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Although some manufacturers catalogued machines in Chinoiserie finish, including Columbia and Edison Bell in the UK, many were made to special order. Even some minor brands such as Fullotone could be ordered with this finish, and here is mine :
Attachments
Fullotone 2 005.JPG
Fullotone 2 005.JPG (91.01 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Fullotone 2 008.JPG
Fullotone 2 008.JPG (121.58 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
Fullotone %26 Bell Box 005.JPG
Fullotone %26 Bell Box 005.JPG (92.12 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

[quote="chunnybh"]Japanned chinoiserie. "is the European interpretation and imitation of Chinese and East Asian artistic traditions.."
Japanning was often used to cover up cheaply made cabinets. Once the cabinet was covered in a thick black lacquer, it would be painted in the chinoiserie style. Pretty labor intensive so was offered by many cabinet makers as a custom made cabinet at an extra price.
Here is my HMV 6 with matching record cabinet. I can't at the moment find a better quality photo.( not for sale)[/quote

hello chunny was it actually made that way by HMV ? the only HMV chinoiserie cabinets I have ever seen were sold by Harrods and were HMV machines post decorated to Harrods' specs , they usually even painted over the HMV logo inside the lid , does yours till have the HMV transfer in the lid ?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Hi Mike,
I was under the impression that HMV especially ordered chinoiserie cabinets from their cabinet makers. I did not know that other retailers "post decorated" them. Makes sense and the inside lid on my HMV 6 is painted, covering the logo. Were Harrods the only retailer to offer this finish?. I have noticed that all the HMV chinoiserie cabinets that I have seen have a blue japanned base rather than the usual black base.