2 PART QUESTION ABOUT CHINESE PHONOGRAPHS

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
soundgen
Victor VI

Re: 2 PART QUESTION ABOUT CHINESE PHONOGRAPHS

Post by soundgen »

chunnybh wrote:Hi Mike,
I was under the impression that HMV especially ordered chinoiserie cabinets from their cabinet makers. I did not know that other retailers "post decorated" them. Makes sense and the inside lid on my HMV 6 is painted, covering the logo. Were Harrods the only retailer to offer this finish?. I have noticed that all the HMV chinoiserie cabinets that I have seen have a blue japanned base rather than the usual black base.
I've only seen Harrods' machines post painted but these have all had Harrods' metal labels as well so if yours hasn't got a Harrods' label it may have been done by another retailer who didn't add a logo , painting over the HMV logo suggests it was done later

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

Modernola has an "Orient" version. We have seen one in person among a friends collection (don't know if he would sell it, but he reads the forum too).
Here is an article and advertisement from "Talking Machine World" publication, October and November, 1920.

THE MODERNOLA FOR JAPAN
Mitsui & Co. Introduce That Machine in the Flowery Kingdom Through Arrangements With Eastern Phonograph Corp.
The Modernola has invaded the Flowery Kingdom, George Seiffert, president of the Eastern Phonograph Corp., Modernola distributor, New York City, has announced that trade connections have been established with the well-known exporting house of Mitsui & Co., and that the first Modernola was recently shipped to Kobe, Japan. It is expected that the beauty of design of the Modernola will appeal strongly to the Japanese and that the volume of business with that country will grow rapidly. The Eastern Phonograph Corp., besides representing the Modernola in the Eastern territory, also has the export rights and reports that increased orders are being received for the Modernola from South America. Mr. Seiffert reports that the demand for the Modernola from all sections of the country has reached such a point that production will probably be one or two thousand machines behind in the month of December.
(Talking Machine World, November 1920, page 179)
Attachments
modernola,tmw,10-20,p163.jpg
Ed and Nancy

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Don't forget the machines that were painted by specialty shops shortly after leaving the showroom.

Jerry B.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Jerry B. wrote:Don't forget the machines that were painted by specialty shops shortly after leaving the showroom.

Jerry B.
Going outside the subject, I once saw an early television cabinet (the sort with doors) done with high quality chinoiserie decals. Except for the yellowing the effect combined with the painted and gilded cabinet was very rich.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

It is expected that the beauty of design of the Modernola will appeal strongly to the Japanese and that the volume of business with that country will grow rapidly.
I can't imagine business to Japan improved. Chinoiserie is European kitsch. It's not what most rich Chinese or Japanese would have had in their homes. A lot of chinoiserie designs were manufactured in Asia but it was for the European market. Most of the images are caricatures of what Europeans thought the Orient was like.

I've only seen Harrods' machines post painted but these have all had Harrods' metal labels as well so if yours hasn't got a Harrods' label it may have been done by another retailer who didn't add a logo , painting over the HMV logo suggests it was done later
No metal Harrods label on my HMV 6. It does have the usual HMV factory, quality control paper label.
A friend of mine has a stunning HMV 162 which has the same blue chinoiserie with gold plated metal parts.
It would be interesting to find out if the HMV logo is under the paintwork.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

After an article about my Chinoiserie machine appeared in the CLPGS magazine, the Chairman received an enquiry from a Chinese collector wishing to purchase it, so there is some interest in the Far East. Needless to say I declined to sell it. Where would I find another?

On the subject of more recent Chinoiserie, the Pye Black Box record player was available in this finish and is highly sought after.

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

This is the Pye Black Box phono mentioned. "Black Box" was a marketing term for this player, usually found in mahogany, and not necessarily a reference to this finish (even if somewhat apropos here). This shows it as-found, no restoration to player or finish attempted to date.
Attachments
PyeBlackBox01.jpg
PyeBlackBox03.jpg
PyeBlackBox02.jpg
PyeBlackBox06.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

soundgen wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Hi Mike,
I was under the impression that HMV especially ordered chinoiserie cabinets from their cabinet makers. I did not know that other retailers "post decorated" them. Makes sense and the inside lid on my HMV 6 is painted, covering the logo. Were Harrods the only retailer to offer this finish?. I have noticed that all the HMV chinoiserie cabinets that I have seen have a blue japanned base rather than the usual black base.
this machine still has the HMV transfer in the back An HMV Model 267 lacquer console cabinet gramophone,
with No. 4 soundbox, gilt fittings, folded internal horn enclosed by doors and louvres, hand-released automatic brake, central lid and left-hand record compartment, in Chinoiserie-lacquered case on black ground with Waring & Gillow supplier's transfer

Sold by Christie's in 2001 for £1800

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Lot ... tails.aspx
Attachments
awaeri.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Wow! now that's a beauty. Waring & Gillow a top end cabinet maker too.
Mike, Have you come across any blue background chinoiserie cabinets?.

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

Thanks everyone for the info. Does anyone know if the more common manufacturers made a Chinese painted phonograph? Popular manufacturers that come to mind are Pathé', Columbia, Sonora or others?

Mike