Victor Two Spring - loose spring, won’t engage gear

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Robley
Victor Jr

Victor Two Spring - loose spring, won’t engage gear

Post by Robley »

I have a Victor VV-X. I just did a rebuild on my 2 spring motor and everything went great except.... one of the springs is loose in the center so it won’t engage with the gear. Does anyone know how to get the center of the spring to tighten up? Picture attached.
Attachments
F4D4D82E-603C-4822-8847-67F43199D7FD.jpeg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Victor Two Spring - loose spring, won’t engage gear

Post by phonogfp »

There's no gear involved; the crimp in the end of the mainspring needs to seat in the notch in the arbor. You'll need two pair of pliers. Remove the arbor and shape the inner loop of the mainspring so it's tight. DON'T MESS WITH THE CRIMP IN THE MAINSPRING. Just tighten up that inner inner loop so the arbor will slide into that crimp with no slack. Once the mainspring has been tightened onto itself one revolution, the crimp can't move.

Good luck!

George P.

ehs004
Victor III

Post by ehs004 »

Something wrong in this picture ! The spring is way to small for the barrel and there is nothing attached to the barrel it self like half the spring is missing.
Eric

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ehs004 wrote:Something wrong in this picture ! The spring is way to small for the barrel and there is nothing attached to the barrel it self like half the spring is missing.
Eric
Well, one of the two mainsprings is missing...

George P.

Robley
Victor Jr

Post by Robley »

I ended up ordering a new spring on ebay and now it works perfectly! (well... I'm struggling to adjust the speed indicator but I'm not too worried about that). Thanks for the help!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Glad it is working out for you! :)

George P.