Postcard

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Gramtastic
Victor III

Postcard

Post by Gramtastic »

This 1906 postcard appears to show a Columbia Q but the reproducer appears to be black plastic like a Pathé one. It seems odd that so early on it would have lost its original reproducer and had a Pathé replacement. Any thoughts ??
Attachments
s-l1600[1].jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Postcard

Post by epigramophone »

Much as I would like to offer an opinion on the reproducer, my first thought on seeing the picture was that big noses ran in that family :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

they sure are a fine looking family..

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It's probably a Columbia gutta percha reproducer...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

The Columbia 'Q' pictured is the earlier variant that has a brushed steel bed-plate. The reproducers supplied with those were fairly limited in their sound quality ,due to the small diameter of the mica diaphragm employed. The owner could well have purchased another reproducer with a slightly larger diaphragm which would have given improved results over the Columbia reproducer supplied with the 'Q'. Most of the phono stores of the day stocked reproducers with which phonograph owners could upgrade to if they so wished. The reproducer in the photo could well be a Pathé , but several other manufacturers offered similar composition bodied floating type reproducers. " Le Bengali " , " Polyglotte " , being two that seem to turn up more frequently than others. Regards Dulcetto

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Judging by the cylinder boxes, the European spun aluminum horn, and the man's clothing, this photo was probably taken somewhere in Europe. That's a first-model Q, and the special Q reproducer which was supplied with it was a mediocre performer. Ditto for the 10" horn. I suspect that either the machine's owner or the shop that sold it substituted the superior Pathé-style reproducer and aluminum horn.

George P.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

phonogfp wrote:Judging by the cylinder boxes, the European spun aluminum horn, and the man's clothing, this photo was probably taken somewhere in Europe. That's a first-model Q, and the special Q reproducer which was supplied with it was a mediocre performer. Ditto for the 10" horn. I suspect that either the machine's owner or the shop that sold it substituted the superior Pathé-style reproducer and aluminum horn.

George P.
Boy, you can miss a lot if you don't concentrate on the details... :roll: I only looked at the machine and reproducer, completely missing the spun aluminum horn and the people's clothing... :oops:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife