Can´t get this Garrard motor apart

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
snallast
Victor II

Can´t get this Garrard motor apart

Post by snallast »

Hello

Suddenly the spring (s?) broke and I need to take the motor apart and have a look to see what springs I need.
The screws (see photo) won´t budge. I've sprayed them over and over with penetrating oil to no avail. The motor seems to be in fine condition, no rust anywhere and it´s not worn. There´s a lot of oil and grease everywhere and I suspect the screws are stuck with oil that has hardened.

I´ve looked through older threads on stuck screws and below I´ve compiled a few tips.

My questions: can I put the entire motor in a freezer, would that help? Would it damage anything else?
Would heating the screws be a good idea - seeing as they seem to be stuck with old hardened oil?

Thanks for any further advice, I´ve never worked on a Garrard before... Snal

COMPILED TIPS:

One of the few things I've learned over the years is never to rush a stuck screw.
Just mind it daily with your favorite light oil, atf and lacquer thinner, pb blaster or whatever while you attend to other things. One day those screws will turn.-Bill.

I like to use a heat gun to help remove difficult screws. It's been some time since I disassembled a fat Victrola arm but I don't think the threads are reversed. Jerry B.

To break the friction on my old bikes, with obviously larger screws and bolts, I find that after penetrating oil, turning them IN just a few degres, like 3, breaks them free.

The bit about having a screwdriver that fits EXACTLY, and this might mean dressing it to fit with a file, is mandatory. Old British bikes have slotted screws made from hard cheddar, and I learnt it the "crying with frustration" way.

What I found was that a very good screwdriver that fits exactly is essential to getting these screws out if they are stuck. Most screwdrivers have a tapered tip, which is not what you need. You need a screwdriver with a tip that is all right angles, so it completely filles out the slot in the screw head more more torque.
Attachments
IMG_20180803_213314_resized_20180803_100804503.jpg

GabrielePfr
Victor Jr

Re: Can´t get this Garrard motor apart

Post by GabrielePfr »

Have you tried hitting them lightly from the side with a hammer? After applying penetrating oil and letting them sit for some time. I had the exact same thing with my Garrard motor, and the hammer helped.

howardpgh
Victor II

Post by howardpgh »

Try heating each screw with a soldering gun or pencil. That may heat it enough to soften the gunk holding them tight. Heating and letting them cool may also break that bond.

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Thanks for your advice, I've now tried with the hammer / lightly / and heating the screws with a soldering iron, but for now they still won't budge. I'll be patient and repeat the treatment during a few days and see what happens. I'll get back with news when there are any!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

DISCLAIMER: I have used this method with success, but you need to be extremely careful, as a slip might cause damage.

Shape a slotted screwdriver bit for a cordless drill to fit the screw slot exactly... Press down on your drill to make sure the bit does not jump out of the screw slot. Put the drill in reverse and set the drill to the screw setting - not the drill setting - and set the torque setting to the lightest setting usually #1. If you have a speed setting, set that to #1, not #2 and gently squeeze the trigger while applying pressure on the drill to keep the bit in the screw slot. As I said, it is important not to let the bit slip out of the slot. With the torque setting set to its lightest setting, the clutch may let the bit chatter in the screw slot, which actually helps break it loose.

This is not for the faint of heart, so caution is necessary and practice on some other unimportant part is suggested...

WARNING: If this does not work for you, I am not responsible for any damage this might cause. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe it's just the photo, but your screwdriver looks worn out and rounded off. Suggest you try a new screwdriver of the proper size. Again, maybe it's just the photo...

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Thanks Curt

I don´t have the chordless screwdriver, but might be able to borrow one soon - so I´ll try that route when I get a hold of it and follow your instructions. Obviously I´ll sue you if it doesn´t work. Just kidding.

and Jerry

As for the photo - I haven´t used the screwdriver in the photo - I just put it there to point to the screws in question, to show which are the ones that are giving me trouble.

Thanks again for the input!

snallast
Victor II

Post by snallast »

Finally!!

After maybe two weeks of patiently nursing (heating, oils, chilling, aceton, tapping etc.) these screws I got them out with a combination of all the advice you guys gave me. Number one was definitely PATIENCE! Then I filed down a screwdriver so it fit perfectly and made place for a wrench on it. asked a friend to turn the wrench while I pressed the screwdriver down and all of them came out - unharmed!!

Thanks for advice!!
Attachments
screws 1.jpg
screws 2.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Glad you got them out... that is also a method I have used successfully before, but I forgot to mention it. That extra torque from a wrench, vise grips or cordless drill usually works...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife