It plays 78s...does this count?? New machine!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: It plays 78s...does this count?? New machine!

Post by EdisonWizard »

Can’t get a hold to him, left message. Might google someone else and see what I can find.
J.F.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Did you ever order the service and installation manual? It will have the answers you need.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

The button assembly comes out from behind the buttons panel. Open the lid, look at the shields which cover the button backs, you'll see the hold downs.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

OrthoSean wrote:Did you ever order the service and installation manual? It will have the answers you need.
Yes I have one now. Just wanted to talk with him about some things, maint wise I couldn’t find in the manual.
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

startgroove wrote:The button assembly comes out from behind the buttons panel. Open the lid, look at the shields which cover the button backs, you'll see the hold downs.
Yeah I figured it out! Guess I should’ve updated post. I even made a YT video to help others since I couldn’t find anything on it before I got the manual.
J.F.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

If by maintenance you mean oil and grease, it's pretty simple, if it slides or pivots, it needs oil or grease. I see in another post you asked about Lubriplate. That stuff turns into glue over time, don't use it. Find a decent light grease and use that. If there is old dry grease visible on anything, clean it off and regrease. Gears and sliding parts (like the record trays) need only a little grease to keep things smooth. Pivots need oil. Motor shafts need oil. As I said earlier, there isn't much to these mechanisms, you should be able to see pretty easily what needs what.

Sean

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I use the red Mobil one grease on my M1 garlands and bearings, I’ll use the same on this. I’ll do like you said and make sure it’s clean, it’s pretty much clean right now, so shouldn’t take much.

I wanted to ask if I could leave it on if it doesn’t have a selection needing to be made (I’ve heard having it sit with a selection waiting is a hazard), slug adjustment (but I think I figured it out), and how to adjust the turntable to keep it from making that grinding sound. I haven’t been able to look at it due to work, but this afternoon I planned to get in there and vacuum any dust out, lubricate it, and investigate the noise further. I have a feeling the turn table is traveling down too far and is rubbing against the gear.

Ima change that light bulb out to a led or fluorescent in the dome too as it gets hot with that incandescent in there. It’s right next to my house AC controls :-D
J.F.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

You can leave it on without worry if there are no credits in the machine. There are also modifications that can be done so the solenoid doesn't stay energized. I just leave mine original and make sure credits are zero, it's fine. Your turntable issue could be a few different things, it's been 20 years since I've worked on one of those, but it may be something as simple as a height adjustment. Look around and listen, a grinding sound could mean several different things, but the very first thing I'd be sure of is that everything has enough oil and grease. A dry mechanism can make a lot of noise.

Sean

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Thanks Sean!!

From looking at it briefly, it seems it may be that the turntable is dropping down to far and as it’s spinning it hits the gear which give it that brake sound and it stops. I would imagine it would be relatively easy fix to just increase the resting height if that’s the cause, we’ll see in a few hours!
J.F.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Found out what’s causing the noise. The turntable is dropping down too far after playing causing it to hit the gear and cam. I can’t figure out how to adjust from reading manual :-/
J.F.