Victor Jr

DVD released of restored Edison 1913 Kinetophone sound-films

Post by Jerry Fabris »

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: DVD released of restored Edison 1913 Kinetophone sound-f

Post by estott »

Jerry Fabris wrote:News article here: https://www.nj.com/entertainment/index. ... ium=social

The conductor in the still from "Edison Minstrels" is Eugene Jaudas. The singers are doubtless Edison regulars. The Interlocutor is a young Arthur Housman, who was in films up to his 1942 death - generally playing drunks.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Thank you, Jerry.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I pre-ordered this a week or so ago and just received my copy today. It's a remarkable DVD! These films must have absolutely blown viewer's minds back in 1913.

I'm sure this digitally restored version looks and sounds better than the originals did over 100 years ago. Still, it surprises me that they were able to record with so much clarity given that the horn was in the rafters above the performers. It must have been challenging to do these 6-minute stories in a single take.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Some earlier efforts at sound pictures are posted at this German source. The sound is much superior - because the actors are miming along with commercial recordings: http://www.filmportal.de/video/ein-walz ... nr-92-1908

Marty Bufalini
Victor II

Post by Marty Bufalini »

Astounding!!! The sychronization is unbelievable. I didn't know they had reels of raw film that long or a disc(?) or cylinder(?) that ran that long.

Thanks for posting.

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Listening to the excellent documentary, the mention of a 1933 attempt to synchronize "Jack
s Joke" is interesting- Edward Boulden and Arthur Housman were still living, if it had been successfully presented we might have had their reactions.

Just one little point- the documentary gives the impression that the Higham Amplifier pantograph cut directly into celluloid.

Edisone
Victor IV

Post by Edisone »

After the initial surprise, the Edison talking pictures bombed completely. The sync failed, the subjects were dumb, the acting was stilted, etc etc. Without electrical recording & amplification, there was no chance. It was a brave attempt, but about 15 years too soon!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Edisone wrote:After the initial surprise, the Edison talking pictures bombed completely. The sync failed, the subjects were dumb, the acting was stilted, etc etc. Without electrical recording & amplification, there was no chance. It was a brave attempt, but about 15 years too soon!
Like the LP diamond discs....

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

drh wrote:
Edisone wrote:After the initial surprise, the Edison talking pictures bombed completely. The sync failed, the subjects were dumb, the acting was stilted, etc etc. Without electrical recording & amplification, there was no chance. It was a brave attempt, but about 15 years too soon!
Like the LP diamond discs....
^^^ Hear, hear!

I received my "copy" a few days ago, and despite the negatives in regard to the performances and subjects filmed, the resulting "Kinetophones" is (must have been) really astonishing -- IMHO. I enjoy seeing early acting/filming techniques, and the realization of how those techniques evolved over the next couple of decades.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.