HMV 101 Tone Arm rebuild

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
old-bloke
Victor Jr

HMV 101 Tone Arm rebuild

Post by old-bloke »

Hi
They say if you keep on doing something the same way and expect different results then you could be a bit crazy.....that'exactly the way I feel about rebuilding a HMV 101 tone arm with the ball bearings in the mount. I just can't seem to get it back together and moving smoothly
There are only 5 parts to it all....the metal shroud that covers the tone arm base with the internal thread....the tone arm base with the groove for the 10 ball bearings.....a metal retaining ring which locates the ball bearings....a metal ring that restricts the tone arm movement and also forms the top ball race....a threaded locking ring.
If someone could explain to me the rebuilding procedure with each part that would be great....and you'll probably save me going completely crazy!!
cheers

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: HMV 101 Tone Arm rebuild

Post by Curt A »

Post a picture so we can see what you've got... It sounds similar to a Victor Victrola tonearm setup...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

old-bloke
Victor Jr

Post by old-bloke »

OK here's a shot of the bits for the tone arm base.
My method has been .....
grease the track in the arm and put the ball bearings into the track as evenly spaced as possible.
slide the base shroud onto the tone arm up to where it should be when together...the inside of the top of the shroud becomes the top ball race.
THIS IS THE CRAZY PART......I slide the ball retaining ring down onto the top of the ball bearings and try and position each ball into each cut out in the ring....that is not easy while your still trying to hold the shroud exactly in it's place.
then the radial limiting ring goes on which has a ball race on one side which lines up to the shape of the retaining ring.
then the threaded locking ring goes on
The locking ring I think should be able to be tightened right up at the end and the tone arm should move smooth radially.
I think it's the position of the ball retaining ring that I could have wrong as everything else can only go one way(I think!!)
cheers
IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2819.JPG (127.45 KiB) Viewed 1591 times

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

I have not taken my tone arm apart, but I do have an HMV 101 that I'm parting out should anyone need a tone arm or other parts.

FYI,

Matt

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Hello Matt!

If it's intact, with no cracks nor (too much) rust etc, I need the tonearm clip. Please PM me.