Victor Borgia I, Borgia II or some variation thereof?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
maswank
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Hooked on Victor

Victor Borgia I, Borgia II or some variation thereof?

Post by maswank »

I recently came across an opportunity to buy what I think may be a Victor Borgia I, but I need your help. I have not yet seen the unit, but the owner sent me the only three pictures he has of the phonograph. The unit is in his parents garage and apparently has been for many years. He claims the cabinet is in very bad shape, but I'd still like to resurrect it back to its original glory if possible. Can anybody tell me from looking at these photos if it is a Victor Borgia I, Borgia II or some variation?
Attachments
cl-3.jpg
cl-3.jpg (19.88 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
cl-2.jpg
cl-2.jpg (20.86 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
cl-1.jpg
cl-1.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 2505 times

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Victor Borgia I, Borgia II or some variation thereof?

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I'd say it's a Borgia I. It's not a VE 9-40 because there is no power light jewel at the center-front-base of the cabinet. Not a Borgia II because my Borgia II says Electrola on the inner lid and that says Victrola. I don't see a lamp fixture at the right of the tone arm and I would guess that the Borgia I doesn't have a lamp. Strange that the ID plate looks like it's upside down... but unfortunately, it looks like the whole thing got turned upside down. Hopefully there are no holes from pest that still might be lurking. Otherwise it would be great if you could turn that thing around, they are quite rare. Good luck.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

I had a Brunnie PR 5 once that was very similar

maswank
Victor Jr

Post by maswank »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:I'd say it's a Borgia I. It's not a VE 9-40 because there is no power light jewel at the center-front-base of the cabinet. Not a Borgia II because my Borgia II says Electrola on the inner lid and that says Victrola. I don't see a lamp fixture at the right of the tone arm and I would guess that the Borgia I doesn't have a lamp. Strange that the ID plate looks like it's upside down... but unfortunately, it looks like the whole thing got turned upside down. Hopefully there are no holes from pest that still might be lurking. Otherwise it would be great if you could turn that thing around, they are quite rare. Good luck.
Thanks for the input Victrola-Monkey. My initial view of the photos was that it is a Borgia I. The upside-down ID plate confused me as well. Do you know, is the general location of the ID plate in the photo the expected location? Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately from a collectors point-of-view) there just are not many actual photos out there on the Internet of Borgia I models.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I believe the ID plate is in the correct location since that’s where it’s at on my Borgia II.

Oh, just saw the crank handle, Borgia I for sure. There’s no amplifier like the Borgia II but there should be a valve and a horn driver. It’d be great if they were there and operative. FYI, I have a completely empty Borgia I cabinet in great shape I’m currently using to store some other Electrola parts. Thought maybe someday it could become whole again.

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Too bad you live so far away from me. I've a Borgia I with a water damaged cabinet. I can't make up my mind whether to try and save it, or try and find another cabinet.

maswank
Victor Jr

Post by maswank »

Finally got a chance to pickup the Borgia I. I'll attach photos below. Overall the cabinet is in good shape and just needs a good cleaning. However, I am sure there are missing parts (in addition to extra parts as noted in the last photo with the red table cover). I would be interested in anybody's comments on what is missing, what is extra and any suggestions on where (if possible) to get needed spare parts.

Thanks

Mark
Attachments
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG (46.28 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG
IMG_0114.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG (49.74 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG (56.49 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG (55.46 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG (37.64 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG (57.48 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0101.JPG

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

You certainly will have your hands full! It is a pretty low serial number.

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

I agree with Jeff. That will be a LOT of work and it looks like you are missing some key parts. Although, with the low serial number, that certainly has appeal. It will be nice once you get it done.

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

That cabinet is in much better condition than the one on my Borgia. To me, yours is worth saving, though mine probably is not.