Very Late VTLA (12598A) With Record Storage Boxes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Very Late VTLA (12598A) With Record Storage Boxes

Post by CDBPDX »

Picked up my Victor VTLA yesterday with the original record storage boxes. I bought this in February from a Goodwill store in Los Angeles (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 14&t=33982) and a local phonograph collector picked it up for me and has been storing it since then. He brought it to the APS show and another collector (Jerry B.) brought it up north for me. The phonograph community is pretty cool! Big THANKS to Jerry B. and Jim C. for their help!

This is a pretty cool machine. It came with a full set of original record storage boxes, 6-10" and 4-12".

The serial number is 12598A, has to be one of the very last VTLA designated machines, maybe it is the last one..?? Does anyone know of any later numbered VTLA's? It was right about this time that the designation was changed to VV-XVI.

The cabinet is in good condition, could use a clean and polish. The motor needs a rebuild, can't wait to get started on that. The record storage boxes are really nice except for the 'A' box. It looks like someone forced it open and damaged the flap.

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0001.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0001.JPG (222.05 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0002.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0002.JPG (240.01 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0003.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0003.JPG (199.35 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0004.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0004.JPG (217.44 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0005.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0005.JPG (235.49 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0006.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0008.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0014.JPG
tn-700_VTLA-12598_0014.JPG (259.42 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Re: Very Late VTLA (12598A) With Record Storage Boxes

Post by Zwebie »

Very Nice Machine, Great to get nice looking original boxes.
I agree, we do have a fantastic phonograph group!
Jerry and others have helped me more than a few times in the past.

Congratulations,

Bob S.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Wow, Chuck it's been a really good year for you -- congratulations on acquiring a wonderful complete VTLA!

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

Interesting feature of this machine is the ID info, VTLA 12598 A

The references I've seen imply the VTLA designation was replaced with VV-XVI and the suffix A was added to the serial number at the same time, however, this ID plate shows the A suffix coupled with the VTLA designation, so there was apparently some overlapping. Also, this serial number might be the very last VTLA. Are there any higher numbered VTLA designated machines?

Cliff
Attachments
GW_VTLA_0013.jpg

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

A very nice VTLA, Cliff! Could someone enlighten me as to why they manufactured some of these machines with access to the back of the cabinet via the hinged door? Was it done pro forma at the time as access for the machines having electric motors? Please & thank you!

~ Charlie

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

CharliePhono wrote:A very nice VTLA, Cliff! Could someone enlighten me as to why they manufactured some of these machines with access to the back of the cabinet via the hinged door? Was it done pro forma at the time as access for the machines having electric motors? Please & thank you!

~ Charlie
I'm no authority, but I've observed that the earlier internal horn Victrolas seemed to have these back access panels. Later machines, even of the same model, did not. I don't think it was related to electric motors.

But, I could be wrong...

Cliff

miker2001
Victor II

Post by miker2001 »

Must have been taken care of. The boxes are all in good condition, including the pull rings. Looks like you need a knob. Be sure to post some pictures after you have cleaned up the cabinet. Congrats!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

CharliePhono wrote: Could someone enlighten me as to why they manufactured some of these machines with access to the back of the cabinet via the hinged door? Was it done pro forma at the time as access for the machines having electric motors? Please & thank you!

~ Charlie
The rear door seems to have been a feature of many uprights prior to the mid-teens. Early Victrolas of several models had them, as did Edison Amberolas Ia, Ib, III, and Edison Disc Phonographs of the A-series. This clearly had nothing to do with electric motors, but the real purpose escapes me.

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

phonogfp wrote:
CharliePhono wrote: Could someone enlighten me as to why they manufactured some of these machines with access to the back of the cabinet via the hinged door? Was it done pro forma at the time as access for the machines having electric motors? Please & thank you!

~ Charlie
The rear door seems to have been a feature of many uprights prior to the mid-teens. Early Victrolas of several models had them, as did Edison Amberolas Ia, Ib, III, and Edison Disc Phonographs of the A-series. This clearly had nothing to do with electric motors, but the real purpose escapes me.

George P.
I thought it was for shoveling out the hamster waste... :?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Might have been a secret compartment to store your valuables or liquor. :D