Limiting bumping

Post any website technical issues, suggestions, or requests here
OldRestorer
Victor III

Limiting bumping

Post by OldRestorer »

Hello all,
I am sure this has been brought up before but it is a bit annoying and it just happened again.
I don't have much time to spare these days as with many of us. When I finally get time and remember to bump a wanted or For sale item, someone bumps 18 consecutive separate posts. Now my single ad is back on the second page 30 minutes after bumping it.

On every other forum I belong to there is a limit to bumping per day and you are supposed to COMBINE similar items into one post.
Am I wrong to feel annoyed?

Kirk :evil:
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Limiting bumping

Post by HisMastersVoice »

There are rules on bumping. You can read them in this post which I can't make any more obvious yet nobody ever seems to read:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=14087

Unfortunately it is impossible for me to read every single update to every post on this forum, so things slip by sometimes.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I've looked and looked and looked and I've never had the bump button show up for me... not at 7 days, nor at 14 days, nor at 21 days...

What gives? Just curious.

The PM notifications DID just start working again one day a month or 2 ago and haven't stopped. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

gramophone-georg wrote:I've looked and looked and looked and I've never had the bump button show up for me... not at 7 days, nor at 14 days, nor at 21 days...

The PM notifications DID just start working again one day a month or 2 ago and haven't stopped. :lol:
This is because the forum software is out of date and has some bugs. The people who own the website don't care enough to upgrade or support it, and refuse to give me the ability to do so.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I've looked and looked and looked and I've never had the bump button show up for me... not at 7 days, nor at 14 days, nor at 21 days...

This is because the forum software is out of date and has some bugs. The people who own the website don't care enough to upgrade or support it, and refuse to give me the ability to do so.
Figured as much, but what's weird is that I've seen other posts with "last bumped by..." at the bottom so it is working for some posters... or at least it WAS rather recently.

That was what actually started me looking for a "bump" button rather than just typing "bump" which is annoying, I agree.

Tough to enforce rules when you can't update the software due to no keys.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

OldRestorer
Victor III

Post by OldRestorer »

Hello,
I am not saying people are bumping early. I am saying they bump 18 listings at the same time and push everything new to page 2.
One forum I am in is a limit of 2 bumped posts per day.

As for the Bump button. I get it half the time usually.

I understand all you do and cant do. I am just frustrated that I have to wait a week to get my ad back on page one since I listed it and then it got bumped off the page by a serial bumper.

:)
It's not what you say... It's what you do...

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I like the term "serial bumper"... I never realized we had this problem on the forum.

It reminds me of the idiots on eBay who bid incessantly when they are notified they are outbid and have 8 days to go... They just can't help themselves and keep bumping the bids by a dollar until they are back in first place.

By the end of the "auction", they don't end up winning, but have spent an entire week on some OCD binge bidding and driving the price up... "serial bidders"...

Binge watchers, binge bumpers and binge bidders - maybe they all need to get a life...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

"Binge watchers, binge bumpers and binge bidders"

I love first world problems :lol: