Help needed to flatten a cast Victor turntable. Possible???

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Help needed to flatten a cast Victor turntable. Possible???

Post by Jerry B. »

I have a cast iron 10" Victor turntable that is warped. It is not a spindle problem. Is it possible to correct a warped cast iron turntable?

Thanks, Jerry Blais

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Help needed to flatten a cast Victor turntable. Possibl

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I would imagine the process would involve heating the turntable and hammering it until it is flat. As you know, cast iron is brittle when cold, so it would likely crack with force! Time to break out the blacksmith apron and arm muscles!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

You can't heat cast iron and hammer it. It has two states- solid and liquid, there is no between.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

You’re right, it was wrought iron I was thinking of.

I just asked my dad who used to be a metal worker, and he said it can be straightened by clamping it to a firebrick, heating to red hot, tightening the clamps, and allowing it to cool.

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

There's a guy in Hudson, Wisconsin that might be able to help you. https://www.castmetalwelding.com/ is a link to his website. He is REALLY good and specializes in restoring pre WWI Buick engines of all things. He has a couple of large ovens and might be able to help you with that thing. I've had him do some repair work on my coal stove, and a few other things and he really is good. Does a lot of manifold repair on antique cars as well. Good luck with that thing. Must be some internal tension in that thing.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

HisMastersVoice wrote:You’re right, it was wrought iron I was thinking of.

I just asked my dad who used to be a metal worker, and he said it can be straightened by clamping it to a firebrick, heating to red hot, tightening the clamps, and allowing it to cool.
It would seem easier to have a new turntable made

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Just how warped is it??? Is it possible to coat the felt side, (with felt removed of course), with Bondo, or some similar product, then dress it back to create a flat surface, that is also perpendicular to the spindle? Covering the build-up with felt would hide the modification.

OR,

Place the felt side on a machine table and bore, (not drill), the spindle hole much larger, then press fit an insert in the enlarged hole and re-machine to properly fit the spindle shaft. This would create a spindle hole that is perpendicular to the felt side of the turntable, even if the turntable face itself is a bit out-of-flat.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

If it is not too warped, the important side is the top. Remove the felt and place it top side down on a belt sander, rotate it several directions until it gets flat... I did this on a Columbia Q motor board that was slightly distorted and had odd pitting that was visually distracting. Once I got it flat, I polished it back to an almost nickel plated look, which won't be necessary for your turntable...

Otherwise, if you know a machinist, you could place an appropriate sized bolt in the spindle hole with a nut on both sides to hold it securely, place it in a lathe and straighten it out that way (it would also work to chuck it into a drill press, if you don't have a lathe).

I would be very leery about heating it to straighten it, because of the inherent problems with cast iron. Old cast iron of that period, probably had a different formula than modern cast iron. The results may or may not be good, as it is brittle and prone to warpage. Beside that problem, finding someone who is experienced enough with antique cast iron to trust for a repair may be few and far between.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife