FOR SALE: Large Cylinder Record Wall Display/Cabinet - $675

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PeterF
Victor IV

FOR SALE: Large Cylinder Record Wall Display/Cabinet - $675

Post by PeterF »

Here is something that doesn't turn up too often, a custom-made cylinder cabinet, with room for 165 boxed cylinder records stored and displayed in individual slots behind sliding glass doors...

I advertised it here, months ago, and it sold to a great guy down south. The plan was to meet up at the August APS show and hand it off.

Sadly, and to just about everyone's disappointment (except perhaps YOURS) this sale had to be cancelled. I couldn't fit it into my vehicle to get it down to LA and hand it off to the buyer as planned, and there was no time to make an alternative arrangement.

As my daughter wryly said to me after half an hour of sweatily trying to wrestle it into place:

"Measure twice, load once, Dad."

So here we go again, and I'll recycle some of the prior words to tell you all about it and why you need it!

It came from the estate of a family which had run a California general store that had remained in operation from Gold Rush times until the late 20th century. This cabinet was a custom replacement of the store's original cylinder record sales display, probably done in the 60s or 70s. The family kept it in their home after the store closed as a means of storing their record collection in a quaint and familiar way.

Thus, it's something in an old format but is not that old itself. It's very well made, solid and tight, super convenient, and quite attractive. As you'll see in the photos below, it has 11 columns of 15 round slots sized to perfectly fit standard cylinder records in their boxes. It measures about 44" w x 78" h x 8" (rounded to the nearest inch) so it's something that takes up a pretty good piece of wall but does not poke out into the room very much at all. The two glass sliding doors ride in metal tracks top and bottom, and each has one of those little "handle" indentations cut into it for ease of opening.

The base comes off to help move it, or perhaps to facilitate mounting it directly to the wall.

It's solid wood (not veneered) and thus is pretty heavy, and so it needs to be picked up here in the San Francisco Bay Area, or I can borrow a pickup truck to drop it off locally. I can also drop it off at any shipper with a blanket-wrap arrangement the buyer can arrange.

Jerry Blais could certainly get it to Union (next June) or the APS show (next August), and since I'll be driving in a truck up to Jerry's within the next few weeks, I can get it to him for such future delivery. Come to think of it, I can also deliver it to points between San Francisco and Portland on that trip.

Have a look - it's really cool. As usual, the sideways photo syndrome seems to be happening here, so click the shot and it should right itself. Or PM me your cell number and I'll text you the pix directly.

And the price is negotiable!
Attachments
cylcab5.jpg
cylcab1.jpg
cylcab2.jpg
cylcab3.jpg
cylcab4.jpg
cylcab6.jpg
cylcab7.jpg
cylcab8.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: Large Cylinder Record Wall Display/Cabinet - $

Post by PeterF »

Bump, with enticements:

Price is now $275, and Jerry Blais will be here in San Francisco on this coming Tuesday...so he can take it with him back to Oregon for future delivery at Union or points between.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Sold and delivered, where it now graces the kitchen of its new owner!

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Excellent deal to me. Wish it would’ve been closer! I may build my own as a project one of these days
J.F.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

PeterF wrote:Sold and delivered, where it now graces the kitchen of its new owner!
Kitchen? It's been repurposed as a hot dog stand? :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

gramophone-georg wrote:
PeterF wrote:Sold and delivered, where it now graces the kitchen of its new owner!
Kitchen? It's been repurposed as a hot dog stand? :lol:
It's the ideal spice rack :lol:

PeterF
Victor IV

SOLD: Large Cylinder Record Wall Display/Cabinet - SOLD

Post by PeterF »

The guy had just recently moved into a new place, which gave him the opportunity to start fresh with arranging furniture and his collection. He has several record cabinets but until this one, none for cylinders.

The layout of the place is "open" in that there is a wide opening between the kitchen and the large room where much of the collection is displayed. The kitchen is relatively large, with all the counters and appliances on two of the walls...and the remaining wall was big and blank and empty. The kitchen isn't quite wide enough for a table or cutting block to fit there, but this 8" deep thing does.

It also fits perfectly in height and width, even to the extent of covering space between a power outlet on one side and a light switch on the other, rather than obstructing either. And the glass front protects the content while allowing a super and unique decorative effect.

I should have taken a picture. Looks like it was custom made for the space it now occupies.

I always like a hobby deal to end with both parties coming away from it feeling good about it, whether it's through the aesthetic pleasure of finding a beautiful or useful or long-sought item, or just happiness with the price paid/received. But this is the first time I've seen that go three ways, because my wife was part of it too...she helped me load the thing on top of the vehicle and strap it down, helped us shlep it into the house and assemble/install it, and then got the payment counted out into her hand. And most of all, she's super happy about having it gone from our foyer, where it has been since last March or so. A win/win/win.

So, no spices or hot dogs or anything else like that...but three big smiles!

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Nice ending! Glad everyone is happy!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo