Victrola motor crank reduction gear

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Victrola motor crank reduction gear

Post by apruizii »

I just picked up a VV-215 Victrola and the crank won't turn because what looks like a brass tungstone needle got sandwiched between the motor crank 1-¼" reduction gear and the larger motor crank gear causing one of the reduction gear teeth to get gauged. I have removed the spring barrel shaft, the spring barrel, and pawl, in order to access the motor crank reduction gear. It looks like a small pin goes through the neck of the reduction gear to attach it to the female threaded shaft for securing the crank. Does anyone know how to remove the pin? Is it okay to try and tap it out? I've attached a picture of the type of gear for reference.

Thanks!

AR
Attachments
Victor motor crank reduction gear front.jpg

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Victrola motor crank reduction gear

Post by CDBPDX »

It is OK to punch out the pin. The pin is 3/32" diameter, use a punch slightly smaller and punch it out. There is usually one end of the pin that looks smaller than the other end. Punch out from the smaller end. Once the pin is removed, you can slide the female winding shaft out and remove the gear. To replace the gear, just reverse these steps.

Have fun!

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Cliff,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!!

AR

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Hi Cliff,

I'm having some trouble taking off the pin. One end appears to be flat with a dimple in the middle and the other end is rounded with no dimple. I tried punching the rounded end by tapping it sternly with the end of an alan wrench (smaller than 3/32) with no luck. Is that the smaller end? I just wanted to make sure I'm punching on the correct end before giving it a couple of good wacks.

Thanks,

AR

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

apruizii wrote:Hi Cliff,

I'm having some trouble taking off the pin. One end appears to be flat with a dimple in the middle and the other end is rounded with no dimple. I tried punching the rounded end by tapping it sternly with the end of an alan wrench (smaller than 3/32) with no luck. Is that the smaller end? I just wanted to make sure I'm punching on the correct end before giving it a couple of good wacks.

Thanks,

AR
Yes, the round end is the end to punch. I use a finishing nail punch for this. You can give that some good wacks, it works great to get the pin about ½ the way out, then I use pliers to pull the rest out.

You'll get it out.

Cliff

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Cliff,

Okay, thanks again!! Now the follow-on question of course, do you happen to have a spare motor crank reduction gear? :D

Thanks,

AR

CDBPDX
Victor V

Post by CDBPDX »

I do have a spare. Where do you want me to send it?

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Cliff,

I just sent you a PM with my address.

Thanks!

AR

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You could most likely file the burrs down with a small file and it would be just fine.