VE 10-50 custom cart into a custom convertible pallet

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

VE 10-50 custom cart into a custom convertible pallet

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I have provided my VE 10-50 custom cart along with the sale of my last (and previous and future) VE 10-50 buyer for free. Except this time I needed to ship it on a pallet. Hence I had to get creative in making the design of the pallet that would temporarily incorporate the 4 swivel wheeled cart, at the same time be easy to dissemble the pallet parts and for it to allow itself to lower to the floor and for the VE 10-50 to lower itself back on to its feet on the cart. The following is picture of my design draft and explanation to the buyer. I will provide pictures of my completed custom convertible pallet in a few days. I have also provided a picture of how I personally deliver a VE 10-50.

My intention is that the shipper will place the pallet with the machine supported off its feet packed on it, in your garage. From there with my instructions, you will be able to remove a board one at a time or a small group of boards at a time (that are glued & screwed together), which will allow the machine to lower itself down onto the cart and to allow the cart to lower itself down to the floor. I believe all that will be needed is a cordless screw gun and no muscle-men help.

I just finished the design and have attached my draft of it. It's likely hard for you to decipher, but with photos and instructions I will provide later, it should be no problem. The blue part in the picture is the original cart, as seen in the photos I posted in the Yankee Trader that supports this VE 10-50 (and all my others). To make this VE 10-50 custom cart into a VE 10-50 convertible custom pallet, it will only require four eight foot long 2"x6" boards. I will likely use this design for my other VE 10-50s I will be selling and shipping, once I have more of the pot-metal replacement sets available and installed.
Attachments
IMG_6101.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

StL Bill
Victor I

Re: VE 10-50 custom cart into a custom convertible pallet

Post by StL Bill »

I can certainly attest to Wayne's ingenuity when it come to loading these large changers. I have personally sold him 2 10-50's and a 9-55, and have stood in amazement while he wraps and loads these monsters and packs them into his large van. He certainly has become the go-to guy when it comes to information and now the replacement parts for these machines.

Bill

Remmotors
Victor O

Post by Remmotors »

I'm looking forward to seeing this in action!
Roy

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

This might work for moving one... or a regular fork lift...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 5.24.47 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Curt, I certainly would like to add a Pallet Jack or a forklift to my arsenal of equipment. As things are right now, once the machine is secured on a pallet, I can't move it. The shipper comes with their Pallet Jack to lift and tow it to their big rig equipped with a lift gate. However, neither the Pallet Jack nor a forklift are as versatile, maneuverable, or as light as my aluminum hand crank lift. It can lift up to 400 lbs up to 5 feet high and have done so single handed.

I have changed my original design of the parts that would be added to my 4 swiveled "i-cart" (named so because of it's shape being of the capital letter "i"). Photos can be seen below. I have removed the drawing of my original design from my first posting due to it being not as good as my latest design. I will post more pictures later, once I roll the VE 10-50 out of the living room and into the garage. Note there 6 parts that hold the machine to the cart and that also provides additional attachment points for the 4 perimeter boards. The machine will sit on three ½" rubber topped pads to off load the pressure upon the machine's legs, and be bolted down using ⅜" bolts that screw into the original metal threaded holes in the bottom of the machine that are there from its original factory shipping, some 90 years ago.
Attachments
IMG_6199.JPG
IMG_6200.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

"my aluminum hand crank lift. It can lift up to 400 lbs up to 5 feet high and have done so single handed."

What is this lift and where did you get it? It sounds very handy...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Curt A wrote:"my aluminum hand crank lift. It can lift up to 400 lbs up to 5 feet high and have done so single handed."

What is this lift and where did you get it? It sounds very handy...
We used a product called Genie Lift when I was doing conveyor system installs in bottling plants. Maybe a bit pricey though...
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Here is a Genie Lift on eBay with a BIN price of $1,000... doesn't seem too bad.
Overall Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 39 x 35 x 86, Capacity (lbs.): 800, Lift Height (ft.): 16 5/16
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 4.41.09 PM.png

My Wife

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Curt, The aluminum lift I speak of is in the second picture I posted on this topic. (For some reason the picture is sideways on my computer and upright on my smart phone). I purchased it from http://www.vestil.com and it also was pricey, $700-$800 a few years ago. The steel one is a little cheaper but a lot heavier. They have quite a variety of models.

I have completed the pallet attachments to my i-cart. Just have to wrap it up with 2" styrofoam board on 5 sides, then sheets of cardboard, and it will be ready to be picked up by the trucking carrier this Friday.
Attachments
B362DBED-202F-44C2-B314-E60AB885F768.jpeg
IMG_6224.JPG

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Two inch styrofoam board and cardboard, now ready for a SAIA trucking pickup:
Attachments
600ABCDF-EDAC-4628-A8C2-D59377AD42DE.jpeg
5FC99142-8EFD-453C-84D8-4C11D9B9D7D1.jpeg