Brooks Automatic Repeating Phonograph -help please

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Tom565
Victor Jr

Brooks Automatic Repeating Phonograph -help please

Post by Tom565 »

I picked this phonograph up off craigslist for $25. The guy I bought it from found it along the road and was going to take it apart for the scrap steel inside. He decided it might be worth more as an antique so he listed it online starting at $150. He kept dropping the price over a couple month period because no one was interested. Unfortunately it was sitting on his front porch all this time and the rain has damaged the finish on part of the lid and one leg. It was also listed as non-working.

I wind the handle and it never actually "winds up". The gears turn inside so I'm sure the spring is probably broken. I have not attempted to trouble shoot or fix it yet. My goal is to restore this machine to working condition and also keep it looking as original as I can.

I got into the phonograph hobby a couple years ago when I bought a non-working Victrola V-XX and got it working again. This is only my second machine.

Questions:

#1 The overall finish of the machine is in good condition, other than half of the lid. It's down to bare wood where the water got to it. What can I do to the bare spots to make it match the rest of the finish a little better?

#2 Can anyone give me an idea of a manufacturing date?

#3 The machine came with a box of spare parts. Can anyone identify the cracked, round "pot metal" part in the one picture that I placed on top of the lid?

Thank you!
Attachments
DSC_0537.JPG
DSC_0538.JPG
DSC_0539.JPG
DSC_0540.JPG
DSC_0541.JPG
DSC_0542.JPG
DSC_0543.JPG
DSC_0544.JPG
DSC_0545.JPG
DSC_0546.JPG
DSC_0547.JPG

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Brooks Automatic Repeating Phonograph -help please

Post by Dave D »

The part you asked about is the base for the original tone arm. The arm on the machine now is from a Pathé'. (I think)
George Vollema might have the correct tone arm for you.
Dave D

Tom565
Victor Jr

Post by Tom565 »

Thanks Dave D. for the information. I was looking at pictures of other Brooks online and I don't believe my arm or base is original to this machine. Plus I don't see how it would ever be able repeat records with its current setup.

I will try contacting George V. and see what all parts he has.

My guess is the original "repeating arm/base" broke so someone replaced it with this standard one so they could still play records.

I unscrewed the arm base from the machine and I can see three extra holes from where the original one was mounted. The extra cracked/bent one I have isn't the original from this machine either. It's too big for the hole in the wood.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

I sent you a PM. I have some parts that you might be able to use but do not have the tonearm. These machines are tricky to get set up but once working they are very cool. I also have a lid but it’s light oak. Good luck with the project. Joe

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

Did you contact George V.? I purchased an Emerson phonograph from him many years ago and someone he knew transported it from Michigan to Pennsylvania for me----this person I believe was into Brooks machines. Good Luck

Tom565
Victor Jr

Post by Tom565 »

Yes, I did contact George V. He said a few years ago someone bought all of his Brooks tone arms from him. My plan is to get the machine into working order and run it with the Pathé arm for now. I will just have to keep an eye out for an original arm for the future.