1903 Francesco Tamagno Historic Masters vinyl pressing

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

1903 Francesco Tamagno Historic Masters vinyl pressing

Post by melvind »

I recently acquired this Historic Masters pressing on a previously unreleased 1903 Tamagno 12" record of "Niun mi tema" from Otello. I know next to nothing about the Historic Masters pressings, but what I have found says they were pressed from the original metal masters held by EMI. I know there have been references to them on the forum before so I am sure someone can add some information that will help me describe this record on my YouTube channel.

The recording has a couple of "shush" moments that must be on the original. The vinyl I recorded from shows no sign of an issue at those points on the record. But, the voice and even the piano sound very clear on this pressing. I am very impressed with the sound considering this is an acoustic recording made in 1903! Another thing that surprised me is that when played in 78 rpm the aria is at the correct pitch. I wouldn't think it likely that a 1903 recording was actually made exactly at 78, but this one must have been. I don't know how else they could have used the original masters to press it and also modify the speed.

The other side of the record contains two short Distance Tests done by Nellie Melba in 1910. They are also interesting and I will be posting them another time.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLeNo4wDjRU[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/VLeNo4wDjRU

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: 1903 Francesco Tamagno Historic Masters vinyl pressing

Post by Wolfe »

Neat.

I've got a 10" HM pressing of Verdi's Di quella pira / Ora per sempre addio, sung by Tamagano.

One of the sides is almost a noisy as a shellac 78, despite it not being a dub and the vinyl pressing pristine. Something going on in the cutting I suppose. Label reads 77 rpm.

I like Tamagno. Such a visceral, dramatic voice, even in retirement when his records were made.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Re: 1903 Francesco Tamagno Historic Masters vinyl pressing

Post by Viva-voce »

I like Tanagno also. His recordings have real presence and captured his voice quite well.

Thanks Dan for another great post!

Steven