Edison C-19 ??

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Edison C-19 ??

Post by larryh »

One thing that strikes me as not being right on a factory job is the door holding rod is going under the bottom of the cabinet, it would have been most likely concealed some other way on a production model. I tend to lean to a professional rehab by the piano company to save a damaged machine as suspected here. Everything appears to be in place for a taller machine only modified so the bottom record sections is removed and the cabinet lowered some.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

CDBPDX wrote:I think these are the original C-19 legs modified to s shorter cabinet. The legs are at a 45 degree angle at the corners, that is consistent with a C-19 cabinet, I don't think any other floor model cabinets had this feature. Also, notice how the legs have been tapered on the inside at the bottom. No other Edison floor model cabinet has that feature, again, I think the original C-19 legs were modified.
Cliff
I have to agree with you. I'm not convinced anything like this was ever built on purpose by anyone. Also, to quote the listing description, it gives a little hint as to the possibility this is a very recent alteration to an otherwise original C 19: "RECONDITIONED THIS LAST YEAR ($800.00) IN GREAT SHAPE!"

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Post by CDBPDX »

I talked to the seller and she said it had a major cabinet repair about 15 months ago by Dino Mancini of Mancini Furniture Restoration in Bend, Oregon. Apparently, there was significant damage to the lower portion of the cabinet and it was repaired/salvaged into what it is today, including a new grille. I think it is an excellent salvage job.

Cliff
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8