Question: Firing up a VE-XVIII after many years

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
thatonejohn
Victor I

Question: Firing up a VE-XVIII after many years

Post by thatonejohn »

I picked up a VE-XVIII over the weekend (craigslist find) and I am curious as to how people replace/repair the power cord on these. All of the interior wiring appears to be good, so it's just the external part that has some crimps/kinks and general degradation. Do I cut off the questionable section and just move where the plug attaches? or are there other concerns with the power cord that warrant full replacement?

And, is there anything that should be looked at with the motor before I attempt to turn it on? I'm pretty sure I'll have to pull it out just to make sure everything is lubricated, but I guess I just want to see it spin under it's own power.

It was used as a decorative piece for the past umpteen years, it was originally sold in Aberdeen, SD, moved from Aberdeen to Montana to Rapid City, and now Pierre,

Thanks,
Attachments
IMG_20180916_214500.jpg
IMG_20180917_224956.jpg
IMG_20180917_225207.jpg

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Question: Firing up a VE-XVIII after many years

Post by melvind »

JAS antiques has new replacement cords that look original and work great. They are on ebay and have a simple website.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Beautiful and rare machine! If you'd like to test the motor, first inspect the wiring to make sure there is no major damage, then disconnect the original power cord if possible (usually there is a male to female connection between the motor and the outside) and attach a standard garage extension cord. I've never had one of these motors before, but the successor model (the induction disk) has given me little to no trouble when I just plugged it in. Wire this age is always brittle, so be careful and replacing the cord will be best in the long run. Hope this helps!

Greg

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

melvind wrote:JAS antiques has new replacement cords that look original and work great. They are on ebay and have a simple website.
This machine is early enough so that there may be no removable power cord. In that case The cord will be part of the wiring harness. The line cord may be round, rather the size of SV rubber. A machine which is this fine deserves to have its wiring harness duplicates. I have had this done before by Rhode Island Wire, a firm which duplicated automobile wiring harnesses. If that is too expensive at the moment, I'd recommend that the original wiring harness be preserved, and a new one be made using Sundial Wire's green "Pulley Cord", which is just about the perfect color, size and shape for a 1914-17 Electrola.

https://youtu.be/Pqe2JD1xUF0

Add to this a male screw attachment plug, perhaps screwed into a wall bracket or chandelier as shown in this 1915 film, "The Home Electrical", and one could feel transported back to 1916...

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

Nice looking machine, XVIII's are so graceful one of my favorite machines, If the cord has no visible damage or abrasions I would just plug it in and give it the old smoke test. I have 2 or 3 electric music machines, I either have them on a power strip that I turn off after playing or I simple unplug when not in use.

thatonejohn
Victor I

Post by thatonejohn »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
melvind wrote:JAS antiques has new replacement cords that look original and work great. They are on ebay and have a simple website.
This machine is early enough so that there may be no removable power cord. In that case The cord will be part of the wiring harness. The line cord may be round, rather the size of SV rubber. A machine which is this fine deserves to have its wiring harness duplicates. I have had this done before by Rhode Island Wire, a firm which duplicated automobile wiring harnesses. If that is too expensive at the moment, I'd recommend that the original wiring harness be preserved, and a new one be made using Sundial Wire's green "Pulley Cord", which is just about the perfect color, size and shape for a 1914-17 Electrola.

https://youtu.be/Pqe2JD1xUF0

Add to this a male screw attachment plug, perhaps screwed into a wall bracket or chandelier as shown in this 1915 film, "The Home Electrical", and one could feel transported back to 1916...
Yep, this is early enough that power cord is not removable. I haven't poked around enough to figure out exactly where the power goes within the machine, as it is definitely similar to an automotive wiring harness and not individual wires running everywhere. I've attached a photo showing the cord where it enters the back of the machine and how it disappears into the harness pretty much immediately.
Attachments
IMG_20180917_225024.jpg

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

That gold plated spring is nearly always missing. The lamp shade for those is pretty hard to find as well. It's very nice looking machine. You should be really happy with it when you get it going.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

EarlH wrote:That gold plated spring is nearly always missing. The lamp shade for those is pretty hard to find as well. It's very nice looking machine. You should be really happy with it when you get it going.
I'd strongly recommend replacement of the wiring harness. At thusvlate date it is an accident waiting to happen. A custom harness would be the perfect solution, of course, but perfection being the enemy of the good, a new unit made of Sundial Wire without the overbraid would do, and would leave you with a machine which you could safely leave plugged in.

If you must use the original wiring,, you might consider using a plug fuse cut-out fitted with a couple of 2.5 or 4 amp fuses and your connecting block. This would not only look antique, it would offer a good deal of protection to both your home and the Electrola motor.. Stick to standard fuses, though, stay away from "Slow-Blow".
Attachments
s-l300 (1).jpg
s-l300 (1).jpg (18.89 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

thatonejohn
Victor I

Post by thatonejohn »

Uncle Vanya wrote:I'd strongly recommend replacement of the wiring harness. At thusvlate date it is an accident waiting to happen. A custom harness would be the perfect solution, of course, but perfection being the enemy of the good, a new unit made of Sundial Wire without the overbraid would do, and would leave you with a machine which you could safely leave plugged in.
Yeah, I am kinda concurring with that idea, nobody will see the wiring. It's kind of like upgrading vintage motorcycles/automobiles to be safer to operate, and as nice as the cabinet looks in that cell phone pic, it is currently not a museum piece as the exterior has been gone over with something to leave some drips/runs in the finish.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

thatonejohn wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:I'd strongly recommend replacement of the wiring harness. At thusvlate date it is an accident waiting to happen. A custom harness would be the perfect solution, of course, but perfection being the enemy of the good, a new unit made of Sundial Wire without the overbraid would do, and would leave you with a machine which you could safely leave plugged in.
Yeah, I am kinda concurring with that idea, nobody will see the wiring. It's kind of like upgrading vintage motorcycles/automobiles to be safer to operate, and as nice as the cabinet looks in that cell phone pic, it is currently not a museum piece as the exterior has been gone over with something to leave some drips/runs in the finish.
Well, Sundial has a pulley cord in green which is a dead ringer for the original Victor stuff. Add a Benjamin Swivel Attachment plug and no one will care to look at the modern wiring INSIDE your machine.
Attachments
attach. plug + cord.jpg
W182CPGNXXMNS_main.jpg
W182CPGNXXMNS_main.jpg (178.87 KiB) Viewed 1854 times