Aretino - Pat Aug 13, 1901

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Aretino - Pat Aug 13, 1901

Post by Curt A »

An "original" Aretino spindle attachment IS hard to find, but it is easy to make an adapter that fits over a standard spindle and allows the Aretino records to be played... It could be made from aluminum, plexiglass or other materials and cut out with a hole saw...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

It's odd that it's modified to take a normal 78 record
If it's modified to play regular 78s it is much more versatile. I had a Standard Type A at a recent phono sale and could have sold it several times if it had the ability to play regular 78s. Jerry

ged001
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Curious

Post by ged001 »

I went out and took another look. The pics I took had the thick felt like disk on the turntable. That disk looks like maybe it was to build up the table and allow use of the standard small hole 78s. With that removed, the table is metal with a felt cover and is set for the larger hole Aretino style records. I don't think the table is modified, just missing part of the original spindle (just a guess).

With every post and response, the more my curiosity grows, and the more I am convincing myself I need to buy this from the estate. There is no family "history" tied to it, but I think it would be fun to have, and it would be a hobby that doesn't require me having someone feed it when I go on vacation :)

And, Again, Thanks to all of you for your help and inputs.

Ed

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"...I think it would be fun to have, and it would be a hobby that doesn't require me having someone feed it when I go on vacation"

It is a great hobby and you would have a great machine to begin with. I say "begin", because the hobby has the dark side of starting an addiction - they seem to multiply and records seem to show up without any advance warning.

Also, in addition to not having to feed it, it has the added advantage of providing endless hours of entertainment during a power outage... :lol: or not. Plus, you have the opportunity of defending your sanity to all of your friends and family who wonder why you would have one in your house. Honestly, there are a lot of us who have been enjoying these obsolete machines for many years... I have, for over fifty years, when I got my first one at age 16.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

My vote is that you really must save this and keep it - you'll never regret it.

I'm fortunate enough to have my grandparents' machine and records. Only a few of us are in that position, and it's a very, very special privilege and pleasure in this hobby.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

ged001
Victor Jr

Post by ged001 »

Thanks for all of the encouragement and support. The family is having the sale later this month, I told them to price it however they wish, but I will pay $400 - we'll see what happens.

Curt, I am used to defending (or trying to defend) my sanity. I have snakes and a pet opossum. My friends may think this is the sanest thing I've done in a while.

If I end up with the machine, I'm sure I'll be on here frequently. If I don't get it, I may still be on here looking for something as I am quite intrigued now that I have done some research and heard from all you nice people.

Ed

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I think $400 is a very fair offer. Jerry

ged001
Victor Jr

Post by ged001 »

OK, I now own this machine - $400 for machine, WITH the 40 records, so I'm happy. As a "Newbie", any suggestions to books or resources to learn from? Aside from here, any good websites you guys recommend?

Ed

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Ed,

An "official" welcome to the hobby is in order. Some suggestions:

Join APS (the Antique Phonograph Society) and join a regional club if one is available.
Books authored by our own Forum member, George Paul, are terrific. He'll autograph copies FREE!
Check the Links section of our Forum for a list of recommended books.

I bet others have good suggestions.

Jerry Blais