Record Platter Removal for VV-XVI Victrola

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
apruizii
Victor II

Record Platter Removal for VV-XVI Victrola

Post by apruizii »

I finally found my first VV-XVI Victrola with L- doors over the weekend. It's from 1910 (serial number 21981 C) and in really nice condition and included a bunch of goodies; all of the 10" record storage boxes with records, original key, original owners manual, original packing list, fiber needles, Victor fiber needle cutter, and the Jones Motrola electric auto winder installed with the original instructions. This one is a keeper!!

I'm having trouble removing the platter. I don't want to exert too much force on it. The spindle is slotted...does the spindle unscrew in order to remove the platter? I would appreciate any advice/guidance.

Thanks!

AR

Victor VI

Re: Record Platter Removal for VV-XVI Victrola

Post by 52089 »

Yes, the top of the turntable spindle screws off. You shouldn't have any problems unscrewing it. Just hold he turntable steady with one hand and use a good screwdriver in the other.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Yup, it unscrews like a standard screw. I’d love to see a picture! My XVI Ldoor is one of my favorite machines, it’ll play strong and reliably for you.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. I'll put some photos of the XVI soon.

AR

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Greg,

Per your request attached are some photos of the XVI L door I picked up last week. I'm looking for the original crank (⅜" female about 7 ½" long).

Do you happen to have a spare?

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
20180929_122125.jpg
20180929_122729.jpg
20180929_122431.jpg
20180929_122041.jpg
20180929_122027.jpg
20180929_122522.jpg
20180929_121954.jpg

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Gorgeous! It even has a key! Sadly I do not have a crank for you, but I have a couple of loose ends in case you're missing anything else. Ron Stiko sells reproductions as well. I hope you find a crank, this is a gorgeous machine and one of my favorite styles of Victrola. Congrats on finding it!

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Greg,

Thanks! Yeah, this is definitely a gorgeous machine...I got lucky with this one. Could you send a photo of the crank side of your machine to get a better idea of the type of escutcheon and crank I need?

AR

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Here's the side, with and without the crank. I also included a picture of the front just to show it off hehe :). But yours is a beautiful machine, and the original albums are unbeatable!
Attachments
IMG_0843.PNG
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Greg,

Thanks for the photos. They help a lot. Now I remember about your phonograph...it was the one that a guy was selling in Washington D.C. for $100 but it had the wrong motor, tone arm, etc. and that's why other holes were made to the cabinet to make the crank fit. And you changed out everything with the correct parts...that's the one that I passed up so that you could get it :lol:

I remember it had a weird horn. Did you also change it to the correct one?

AR

GregVTLA
Victor III

Post by GregVTLA »

Oh yes, I remember talking to you about it too. Yeah I had to change the horn, as the one it had was paper mace and shaped like an Edison. You won’t find an L-door with more correct parts :P. I bought all of the pieces from a parter machine in California and had it shipped. EarlH was also a tremendous help providing lots of advice and the horn and tone arm. I guess I was the only one crazy enough to buy this one! I love it to pieces now, and I hope you enjoy yours just as much! :)

PS: Thanks for passing on it :lol:

Greg